A Glimmer of Hope AustinSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $20,000
Next deadline: Nov 1, 2019 (Full proposal)
Later deadlines: May 1, 2020 (Full proposal)
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Project / Program
Location of project: Travis County, Texas
Location of residency: Travis County, TexasView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
Note: For Early Stage / Seed Grants, Glimmer|Austin accepts project proposals twice per year. Deadlines for submitting proposals are May 1st and November 1st of every year. (When a postmark/submission date falls on a weekend, the application deadline is automatically extended to the next business day.) For Growth and Strategic Grants, Glimmer|Austin accepts “Letters of Interest” throughout the respective calendar year. If approved and/or selected, organizations will be invited to formally complete and submit an application that will be emailed to the organization, accordingly.
To empower and invest in local nonprofits and organizations that:
- Care for those who suffer from hunger, homelessness and a lack of basic needs.
- Work to break the cycle of poverty for the next generation through education, mentorship, and income
After the past 15 years of investing in and supporting largely early-stage nonprofits, as well as new programs within established organizations, Glimmer | Austin has narrowed its focus to specific programs & opportunities that will address and reduce the Impact of Poverty in Austin / Travis County, thus working to “Break the Cycle of Poverty.”
A Glimmer of Hope was founded with a large endowment that provides enough money every year to cover all of Glimmer Austin’s operating expenses. The donors don’t have to worry about how much of their money will get to the organizations they want to fund – it will all get there.
The three types of grants provided are:
- Early Stage Funding, filling a vital funding gap for small organizations addressing poverty-related issues and challenges.
- Growth Grants in support of those partners that have the potential to scale and have an established relationship with the foundation.
- “Large-scale” Strategic Grants to organizations that have the capacity to reach and serve broader audiences.
Grants are awarded for a period of one year. Grantees are encouraged to seek additional funds from other sources in order to sustain their efforts.
Glimmer|Austin is seeking to award grants to nonprofit organizations that are tackling poverty-related issues within their communities.
In addition to funding, Glimmer seeks to offer or introduce professional mentorship opportunities, as well as fund suitable trainings and workshops for those partner organizations that are awarded grants.
In 2019, after an extensive review of the past 15 years, we chose to focus our efforts going forward on addressing the challenges and impact of those living in poverty in Austin in Central Texas.
Glimmer|Austin offers three types of grants:
- Early Stage, Seed grants: These are one-year grants of up to $20,000 invested in startup and/or early-stage nonprofits who have shown potential and momentum and are looking for funding and support to get off the ground or expand. Equally this funding is available for new programs within established organizations.
- Growth grants: This is a new area for Glimmer|Austin. We are looking to identify those leaders and programs that have the capacity to grow and need resources to do so. In addition to funding, Glimmer seeks to offer or introduce professional mentorship opportunities, as well as fund suitable trainings and workshops.
- Strategic Grants: These are less frequent, usually larger, multi-year grants that are usually made in conjunction with Donor Partners who co-fund the grant.
In 2019, after an extensive review, we chose to focus our efforts going forward on the impact of poverty in Austin and Travis County. Target populations include: (1) Youth & Young Adults, which includes Foster Children; (2) Women i.e. Single Mothers & Children who lack basic needs; (3) Populations suffering from Hunger & Chronic Homelessness.
Glimmer|Austin invites applications from organizations that:
Care for those who suffer from poverty, specifically those who are…
- Facing Hunger & Food Insecurity
- in need of Foster Care
Help break the cycle of poverty through…
- Job Training & Income Creation
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Organizations that are seeking funding must be a certified 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
- Glimmer|Austin only considers projects that will continue to benefit the community after the foundation’s initial investment. Funded organizations are encouraged to seek additional funds from other sources in order to continue to provide services.
- Glimmer|Austin does not fund or support:
- Grants to individuals.
- Political causes.
- Cultural exchange programs.
- Travel or scholarship assistance.
- General operating funds.
- Construction projects; hardware upgrades or labs.
- Fundraising events; mass mailings; advertising projects.
- Attendance of professional conferences and symposia.
- Out-of-state performances or competition expenses.
- Academic or scientific research.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Glimmer|Austin Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.