AAG Marcus Fund for Physical Geography
American Association of Geographers (AAG)
Grant amount: US $2,000
Deadline: Dec 31, 2018
Applicant type: Undergraduate Student Graduate Student Faculty
Funding uses: Conference, Research
Membership: Applicants must be a member of this organization to apply. Become a member.
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Anywhere in the worldView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The objective of The Mel Marcus Fund for Physical Geography is to carry on the tradition of excellence and humanity in field work espoused by Dr. Melvin G. Marcus. Grants from the Mel Marcus Fund for Physical Geography will foster personally formative participation by students collaborating with faculty in field-based physical geography research in challenging outdoor environments.
About Dr. Marcus
Melvin G. Marcus, past president of the American Association of Geographers and an internationally recognized physical geographer, structured his career around a balance of field work, theory development, teaching, and enjoyment of the geographic endeavor. Making physical geography accessible to everyone with a love of the outdoors, including women, minorities, and the less privileged, was one of Mel’s life-long objectives.
To put this objective into practice, Mel created and oversaw programs that emphasized excellence in field studies and the translation of field studies into scholarly achievement. He also believed in socializing and relaxing at the end of a field day, and encouraged collegiality and creative expressions of the enthusiasm and joy that often accompany field work.
In his own career, Mel took students on research expeditions to the Yukon and Alaska (especially the Juneau and St. Elias icefields), the Himalayas, the Southern Alps, the Colorado Rockies, and the Grand Canyon, as well as many other locations. These expeditions were often life-transforming experiences for those students fortunate enough to participate.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Marcus Fund grants to faculty applicants to support travel and logistical costs of including students in field research in physical geography.
- Student submissions will only be accepted if the faculty member writes an accompanying letter stating how she or he will work with the student in the field.
- The faculty member must join the student for a significant portion of the field work.
- The award is intended to support the inclusion of one or more students in field-based research, but not an entire class.
- Research sites may include international as well as national locations.
- Marcus grant funds may be used to cover travel to the research site, as well as expenses related to the logistical support of the student, such as food, fuel and lodging.
You must be a member of this organization to apply for this award - become a member.
- Student stipends are not eligible expenses under this grant.
- University or department overhead charges are not permissible budget items.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the AAG Marcus Fund for Physical Geography by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.