AAS China and Inner Asia Council (CIAC): Small Grants
Association for Asian Studies
Grant amount: Up to US $2,000
Anticipated deadline: Feb 1, 2019 2:00pm PST
Applicant type: Graduate Student Faculty
Funding uses: Conference, Research
Membership: Applicants must be a member of this organization to apply. Become a member.
Location of project: North America; China; Taiwan, Republic Of China
Location of residency: Anywhere in the worldView website Save Need help writing this grant?
CIAC Small Grant awards are made possible through funding provided by the Chiang Ching-kuo (CCK) Foundation and from AAS-member donations. Dissertation-level graduate students and scholars with special interests in China, Taiwan, or Inner Asia are invited to submit proposals.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Scholars of all levels are eligible.
- There are no citizenship requirements.
You must be a member of this organization to apply for this award - become a member. Applicants must be current AAS members.
- Dissertation-level graduate students, junior and independent scholars (including language pedagogues and librarians), and adjunct faculty are especially encouraged to apply.
Applications are specifically encouraged in the following areas of Chinese or Inner Asia studies:
- Collaborative projects in which the grant will facilitate communication and limited curriculum development
- Organization of conferences and seminars—particularly for the organization of small conferences and seminars away from major centers of Chinese studies
- Short research trips for dissertation-level graduate students, and for scholars at non-research institutions, to travel to major libraries and collections or other research sites.
- Specialist or regional newsletters or websites disseminating important information to their respective fields
- Translations of scholarly books and articles.
- Support for translations is intended for the grant applicant her/himself to produce a scholarly translation (and not of their own work), not to hire professional translators to translate materials for them.
- Travel by scholars working on a common project in Taiwan, China or North America
- CIAC grant funds cannot be used to pay for human subjects.
- For research travel applicants/awards, Passport/Visa application fees, insurance, book or equipment purchases, shipping expenses, gifts, research assistants, translation costs, photocopying expenses or supplies, and survey costs are not eligible for reimbursement
- Tuition or class fees of any kind, or any other expenses associated with participation in summer classes, institutes or related activities
- Travel to conferences, including the AAS annual conference
- Translation of an applicant's own work or to pay professional translators to translate materials
- Book subventions and publication costs
- Repeat applications for previously funded projects and organizations
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the AAS China and Inner Asia Council (CIAC): Small Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.