AAUW Postdoctoral Research Leave Fellowship
American Association of University Women (AAUW)Suggest an update
Anticipated deadline: Nov 1, 2020 8:59pm PST
Grant amount: US $30,000
Fields of work: All fields of work
Applicant type: Postdoctoral Researcher
Funding uses: Fellowship
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: United States
Location of citizenship: United States
Gender restriction: Female
Exclusive to minorities: YesView website Save
About this funder:
The American Fellowships program has been in existence since 1888, making it the oldest noninstitutional source of graduate funding for women in the United States. The program provides fellowships for women pursuing full-time study to complete dissertations, conducting postdoctoral research full time, or preparing research for publication for eight consecutive weeks.
The primary purpose of the Postdoctoral Research Leave Fellowship is to increase the number of women in tenure-track faculty positions and to promote equality for women in higher education. This fellowship is designed to assist the candidate in obtaining tenure and further promotions by enabling her to spend a year pursuing independent research.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- American Fellowship candidates must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States as of the deadline.
- American Fellowships are open to women scholars in all fields of study.
- American Postdoctoral Research Leave Fellowship applicants must hold a doctorate classified as a research degree (e.g., Ph.D., Ed.D., D.B.A., M.D.) or an M.F.A at the time of application.
- Distance learning/online programs: American Fellowships support traditional classroom-based courses of study.
- American Postdoctoral Fellowships funds are available for:
- Educational expenses
- Living expenses
- Dependent child care
- Travel to professional meetings, conferences, or seminars, as long as it does not exceed 10 percent of the fellowship
- AAUW staff or volunteers with decision-making authority who wish to apply for an award must recuse themselves from the decision-making process.
When comparing proposals of equal merit for Postdoctoral Research Leave Fellowships, the review panel will give special consideration to:
women holding junior academic appointments who are seeking research leave
women who have held the doctorate for at least three years
women whose educational careers have been interrupted.
For Postdoctoral Research Leave Fellowships, preference will also be given to projects that are not simply a revision of the doctoral dissertation.
- American Fellowships are not open to previous recipients of any AAUW national fellowship or grant (not including branch or local awards or Community Action Grants).
- Members and officers of the AAUW Board of Directors are not eligible to apply for fellowships and grant awards.
- Tenured professors are not eligible.
- Applicants may not apply for both a Postdoctoral Research Leave Fellowship and a Summer/Short-Term Research Publication Grant in the same fellowship year
- Distance learning/online programs:
- American Fellowships support traditional classroom-based courses of study.
- This fellowship program does not provide funding for distance learning programs or for degrees heavily dependent on distance learning components.
- Funds are NOT available for:
- Purchase of equipment
- Indirect costs
- Research assistants
- Previous expenditures, deficits, or repayment of loans
- Publication costs
- Institutional (overhead) costs
- Tuition for dependents' education
- Tuition for additional coursework
Want to discover new grants?
See how we help our customers save time and find new funding by trying out Instrumentl for 14-days free or learn more.
“This is the best foundation match & grant tracking tool I've used in my many years of fundraising.”