AAUW American Fellowships - Dissertation Fellowship
American Association of University Women (AAUW)
Grant amount: US $20,000
Deadline: Nov 1, 2018 10:59pm PDT
Applicant type: PhD Student
Funding uses: Fellowship
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Anywhere in the world
Location of citizenship: United States
Gender restriction: Female
Degree requirements: Applicants must be on the last year of their PhDView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The American Fellowships program has been in existence since 1888, making it the oldest noninstitutional source of graduate funding for women in the United States. The program provides fellowships for women pursuing full-time study to complete dissertations, conducting postdoctoral research full time, or preparing research for publication for eight consecutive weeks.
The purpose of the Dissertation Fellowship is to offset a scholar’s living expenses while she completes her dissertation.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- American Fellowship candidates must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States as of the application deadline.
- American Fellowships are open to women scholars in all fields of study.
- The American Dissertation Fellowship must be used for the final year of writing the dissertation.
- Applicants must have completed all coursework, passed all preliminary exams, and had the dissertation research proposal or plan approved by the application deadline.
- The doctoral degree/dissertation must be completed between April 1 and June 30 two years after application year (e.g. for 2018 application deadlines, between April 1 and June 30 2020).
- Degree conferral must be between April 1 and September 15 two years after application year.
- Dissertation Fellows are not required to study in the United States.
- Applicants may apply up to two times for a fellowship for the same dissertation project.
- The fellowship is intended for applicants who are completing their first doctoral degree.
- Funds are available for:
- Educational expenses
- Living expenses
- Dependent child care
- Travel to professional meetings, conferences, or seminars, as long as it does not exceed 10% of the fellowship.
- AAUW staff or volunteers with decision-making authority who wish to apply for an award must recuse themselves from the decision-making process.
- American Fellowships are not open to previous recipients of any AAUW national fellowship or grant (not including branch or local awards or Community Action Grants).
- Members and officers of the AAUW Board of Directors are not eligible to apply for fellowships and grant awards.
- Students already holding a fellowship or grant for the purpose of supporting their final year of writing or completing the dissertation the year before the fellowship year are not eligible to apply.
- This fellowship program does not provide funding for distance learning programs or for degrees heavily dependent on distance learning components.
- Funds are not available for:
- Purchase of equipment
- Indirect costs
- Research assistants
- Previous expenditures, deficits, or repayment of loans
- Publication costs
- Institutional (overhead) costs
- Tuition for dependent's education
- Tuition for coursework that is in addition to credits required for maintaining full-time status while completing a dissertation
- Extended field research
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the AAUW American Fellowships - Dissertation Fellowship by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.