African Bird Club Expedition Award
African Bird ClubSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to £5,000
Next anticipated deadline: Feb 28, 2020
Later anticipated deadlines: Jun 30, 2020, Oct 31, 2020
Applicant type: Organizations Individuals
Funding uses: Research
Location of project: Africa
Location of residency: Anywhere in the worldView website Save
The ABC's Conservation Programme supports small to medium sized conservation projects in Africa. Since 1996, it has supported a wide variety of projects including training courses, research into threatened species and promotion and awareness of conservation issues in Africa.
The African Bird Club gives out a small number of Expedition Awards each year for larger, more ambitious projects. These usually involve the proponent travelling to a foreign country to undertake the project. Funding for these projects is often obtained from a number of sources.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Eligible applicants:
- May only submit a single proposal for a Conservation Award
- Eligible projects:
- Expedition must take place within continental Africa or adjacent islands (Atlantic islands on or east of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and Indian Ocean islands west of 80° E)
- Expedition must be conservation based with a strong bird component
- Expedition must be associated with a bona fide academic institution, conservation NGO or recognised natural history or bird club
- Objectives should preferably be derived from any of the publications identifying international conservation priorities eg. IUCN red data books, IBA Directories, the Birds to Watch series, Endemic Bird Areas of the World, etc.
- If the expedition originates from outside Africa, it must include substantial local participation from local NGOs (e.g. BirdLife International partners), bird clubs, academic institutions or relevant government departments
- Expedition must be able to demonstrate prior approval from the government of the host country
- Expedition must have a letter of endorsement from the associated academic institution, conservation NGO or recognized club
- Eligible costs:
- Salaries of local counterparts can be supported
- Salaries of professional researchers or academics will not be supported.
- You may not apply for the both the ABC Expedition and Conservation Awards at the same time.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the African Bird Club Expedition Award by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.