AHS National Trails Fund
American Hiking Society
Grant amount: US $500 - US $3,000
Anticipated deadline: Feb 16, 2019 1:00pm PST
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Applied Project / Program
Membership: Applicants must be a member of this organization to apply. Become a member.
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
American Hiking Society’s National Trails Fund (NTF) offers Micro-Grants to active organizations of our Alliance of Hiking Organizations. Once a year, Alliance Organization Members have the opportunity to apply for a Micro-Grant in order to improve hiking access or hiker safety on a particular trail.
American Hiking Society’s National Trails Fund is the only privately funded, national grants program dedicated solely to building and protecting hiking trails. Created in response to the growing backlog of trail maintenance projects, the National Trails Fund has helped hundreds of grassroots organizations acquire the resources needed to protect America’s cherished hiking trails. To date, American Hiking Society has funded 209 trail projects by awarding over $679,000 in National Trails Fund grants.
What types of projects will be considered for the grants?
- Those that have hikers as the primary constituency, though multi-purpose human-powered trail uses are eligible
- Those that secure trail lands, including acquisition of trails and trail corridors and the costs associated with acquiring conservation easements.
- Projects that will result in visible and substantial ease of access, improved hiker safety and/or avoidance of environmental damage.
- Projects that promote constituency building surrounding specific trail projects – including volunteer recruitment and support.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applicants must be a current member of AHS’s Alliance of Hiking Organizations to apply.
- Applicants must be a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and must submit their IRS designation letters to receive funding.
- The use of a 501(c)3 fiscal agent is acceptable.
- Except for land acquisition programs, acceptable projects should be completed in one year. Multi-year projects will be considered only in exceptional cases.
You must be a member of this organization to apply for this award - become a member.
- Higher preference is often given to projects with volunteer labor.
- Grants will not be awarded to:
- religious organizations for religious purposes,
- private foundations, or
- political causes, candidates or legislative lobbying efforts.
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the AHS National Trails Fund by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.