Alleghany Foundation Grants
Grant amount: Unspecified amount
Fields of work: Business Development Entrepreneurship Academic Success & Enrichment Early Childhood Development Education - K through 12 Education - Higher Education Nutrition & Healthy Eating Physical Fitness Mental Health & Psychiatric Diseases Economic Services & Development Wellness & Healthy Living Health Care Access & Delivery Civic Leadership Development Community Services Show all
Applicant type: Nonprofit, Government Entity
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, General Operating Expense, Project / Program
Location of project: Preferred: Alleghany County, Virginia Other eligible locations: United States
Location of residency: United States
The Alleghany Foundation is a private foundation that came about as a result of the sale of a community non-profit hospital to a for-profit hospital. The Alleghany Foundation is a Virginia nonstock corporation exempt from income taxation under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. It is managed by a Board of Directors, all the members of which are residents of the community. The Foundation’s ongoing purpose is to provide financial support that primarily benefits worthy activities in the Alleghany Highlands of Virginia.
The Foundation seeks applications in key focus areas with the goal of building upon the region’s wonderful assets to provide dynamic opportunities for all its residents. Proposals should contribute to the Foundation’s strategic areas of focus for grant, including the VISION 2025 Initiative.
Alleghany Foundation Grants
Strategic Funding Areas of Interest
The Foundation’s priority is to support proposals from organizations that contribute to the following outcomes:
- Economic Transformation – Harness our region’s strengths to develop a vibrant, diverse and higher-wage economy that can compete in the global marketplace.
- Educational Excellence – Seeks to invest with institutions, such as our local public schools and community college to move our school systems forward from “Good to Great.”
- Health and Wellness – Help the residents of the Alleghany Highlands lead healthier lives and access the comprehensive health care they need.
- Community Capacity – Grow local institutions and organizations with the vision, will, wisdom, and skills to work together to build a more prosperous, equitable, just and sustainable community.
- Leadership and Civic Vitality – Develop broad-based inclusive leadership that can sustain a forward-looking agenda for the community.
- VISION 2025 Initiative – A multi-pronged community-led effort for economic revitalization of the Alleghany Highlands of Virginia that is supported in partnerships with The Alleghany Highlands Chamber of Commerce & Tourism, The Alleghany Highlands Economic Development Corporation, and Dabney S. Lancaster Community College, and made up of the following working groups:
- Real Estate, Utility Development and Marketing to Expand Industry Base
- Alleghany Highlands Web Store and Small Business Support
- Corridor Curb Appeal, Gateway and Main Street Enhancement
- Community Landscaping and Destination Gardens
- Alleghany Highlands Industrial Heritage and Technology Discovery Center
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Grants are awarded to tax-exempt organizations (IRS Section 501(c)(3)) and qualifying political subdivisions.
- Whereas The Alleghany Foundation places a priority on project-support, there are times when general operating support is deemed critical to sustain non-profits in the region.
- Thus, general operating support is considered for entities closely aligned with the Foundation’s strategic priorities on a case-by-case basis.
- The Foundation seeks to be a catalyst for projects but not to supplant other public or private funding sources.
- Priority is given to organizations serving the Alleghany County, Covington, and Clifton Forge areas in Virginia with an emphasis on new and different endeavors to improve the community’s quality of life.
- In addition, requests that are not of a recurring nature are given preference.
- The Alleghany Foundation places a priority on project-support.
- Special consideration will be given to applications that demonstrate the ability to leverage Foundation funding with public and other ongoing financial support.
- Private foundations (IRS Section 509(a)) are not eligible.
- Although the Foundation has not established inflexible limitations upon the purposes for which it will award grants, in general, grants will not be made for debt reduction, endowment funds, or ongoing general operating expenses or existing deficits.
- Grants are not made to individuals or religious organizations.
Don’t miss out on other good fit funders!
See even more similar funders to Alleghany Foundation by creating a free 14-day account. Get personalized grant recommendations, tracking and more.
“Through Instrumentl, I was able to accomplish in 6 hours...SIX HOURS...what would have taken days or weeks with [another] search engine.”