American Express Corporate Responsibility Grants
American Express Foundation
Grant amount: Unspecified amount
Applicant type: Government Entity Nonprofit
Funding uses: Training / Capacity Building, Applied Project / Program
Location of project: Argentina, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Singapore, Spain, United Kingdom, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Counties in Arizona: Maricopa County, Pinal County, Counties in Florida: Broward County, Miami-Dade County, Monroe County, Palm Beach County, Counties in New York: Bronx County, Kings County, New York County, Queens County, Richmond County, Counties in Utah: Salt Lake County, Tooele County Expand all
Location of residency: Argentina, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Singapore, Spain, United Kingdom, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Counties in Arizona: Maricopa County, Pinal County, Counties in Florida: Broward County, Indian River County, Lee County, Martin County, Miami-Dade County, Monroe County, Palm Beach County, Sarasota County, St. Lucie County, Counties in New York: Bronx County, Kings County, New York County, Queens County, Richmond County, Counties in Utah: Salt Lake County, Tooele County Expand allView website Save Need help writing this grant?
At American Express, we believe that serving our communities is not only integral to running a business successfully, it is part of our individual responsibilities as citizens of the world. The mission of our program is to bring to life the American Express value of good corporate citizenship by supporting communities in ways that enhance the company's reputation with employees, customers, business partners and other stakeholders. We do this by supporting visionary nonprofit organizations that are:
- Preserving and sustaining historic places for the future
- Developing new leaders for tomorrow
- Encouraging community service where our employees and customers live and work
Encouraging Community Service Where Our Employees and Customers Live and Work
Effective volunteer engagement can lead to a nonprofit creating solutions within communities, broadening its efforts and growing its profile and supporter base. For community members, volunteering is a way to use and develop their skills and leadership, build social networks and gain a sense of purpose and connection.
We believe the most effective charitable organizations are those that have built volunteer engagement into their social impact model, so our partnerships focus on deep, long-term volunteer engagement rather than one-off volunteer events.
We also serve our communities by supporting immediate and long-term relief and recovery efforts to help victims of natural disasters. Funding also goes to support preparedness programs that allow relief agencies to be better equipped in responding to emergencies as they occur.
The projects we support encourage community service and civic participation, and deliver measurable outcomes that have a lasting impact on communities through one or more of the following:
- Building the capacity of nonprofits by assisting them in developing, engaging and retaining community members as volunteers.
- Engaging community members and American Express employees in ongoing service. This may involve a variety of activities from promoting individual philanthropy, volunteerism or participation in local civic organizations.
Developing New Leaders for Tomorrow
Growing American Express' leadership pipeline by attracting, developing and retaining top talent is a business imperative we invest in heavily. This commitment to developing leaders extends to the communities we serve.
For nearly a decade, we have dedicated significant resources to strengthening nonprofit and social purpose leadership by creating and funding programs for those working to solve the world's biggest challenges. Since 2008, we have invested $60 million to develop nearly 50,000 social purpose leaders who are tacking some of society's most complex issues.
The projects we support encourage leadership development for emerging nonprofit and social purpose leaders through one or more of the following:
- Helping nonprofit organizations create, enhance or sustain leadership development programs for their high potential emerging leaders.
- Diversifying the current landscape of nonprofit leaders.
- Transforming organizations through best-in-class management and leadership practices, whether through board leadership, implementing management principles or expanding an organization's capacity to attract, develop and retain leadership talent.
Projects we are interested in supporting include:
- Supporting leadership training by an organization to a wider group of organizations within the same discipline or field.
- Supporting leadership development of an organization's local members or affiliates.
- Supporting leadership development of an organization located in key geographic areas (see list of geographic areas here).
We do not fund leadership programs focused on youth (high school and college age). We do not support scholarships for an individual's personal leadership training.
Please Note: Applications are accepted BY INVITATION ONLY under the Historic Preservation theme.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Eligible organizations must:
- Certify tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) and 509(a)(1), (2) or (3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code. Organizations outside the U.S. must be able to document nonprofit status.
- Not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, genetic information, citizenship, veteran or marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
- When working with local organizations to support our giving themes, priority is given to projects in the locations listed below. Organization and project must be in one of the following locations.
- United States
- Greater Phoenix
- New York City
- Puerto Rico
- Salt Lake City
- South Florida
- Washington, D.C.
- Around the World
- Greater China
- United Kingdom
- Leadership: We do not fund leadership programs focused on youth (high school and college age). We do not support scholarships for an individual's personal leadership training.
- Please do not submit funding requests for:
- Individual needs, including scholarships, sponsorships and other forms of financial aid.
- Fund-raising activities, such as galas, benefits, dinners and sporting events.
- Goodwill advertising, souvenir journals or dinner programs.
- Travel for individuals or groups.
- Sectarian activities of religious organizations.
- Political causes, candidates, organizations or campaigns.
- Books, magazines or articles in professional journals.
- Endowments or capital campaigns, except restoration projects.
- Traveling exhibitions (we will only consider each venue on its own).
- Sports sponsorships.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the American Express Corporate Responsibility Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.