The Lewis and Clark Fund for Exploration and Field Research Grants
American Philosophical SocietySuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $5,000
Next anticipated deadline: Nov 8, 2020 (Letter of inquiry)
Later anticipated deadlines: Nov 11, 2020 (Full proposal)
Applicant type: PhD Student
Funding uses: Research
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: United States
Location of citizenship: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
The Lewis and Clark Fund encourages exploratory field studies for the collection of specimens and data and to provide the imaginative stimulus that accompanies direct observation.
Applications are invited from disciplines with a large dependence on field studies, such as archaeology, anthropology, biology, ecology, geography, geology, linguistics, paleontology, and population genetics, but grants will not be restricted to these fields.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Eligible applicants:
- Grants will be available to doctoral students.
- Applicants who have previously received a Lewis and Clark Fund grant may reapply after an interval of two years.
- The competition is open to U.S. citizens and residents wishing to carry out research anywhere in the world.
- Foreign applicants must either be based at a U.S. institution or plan to carry out their work in the United States.
- Eligible projects:
- The proposed work should be dissertation directed to the extent possible given the applicant’s year in the doctoral program.
- Eligible costs:
- Budgets should be limited to travel and related expenses, including personal field equipment.
- Preference is given to applicants who have not yet been granted an award from the Fund.
- Postdoctoral fellows, master’s degree candidates, and undergraduates are not eligible.
- Proposals that are archival in nature or museum based will not normally be considered.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Lewis and Clark Fund for Exploration and Field Research Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.