Animal Welfare Organization Grants
Animal Welfare Foundation of Canada (AWFC)Suggest an update
Deadline: Sep 30, 2020
Grant amount: US $1,000 - US $20,000
Fields of work: Animal Welfare - General
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Project / Program, Education / Outreach, Research
Location of project: Canada
Location of residency: CanadaView website Save
The Animal Welfare Foundation of Canada (AWFC) is looking to fund innovative projects that fulfill our Vision: That animals be well-cared for, are treated with respect, and that an enlightened ethic of animal care be fostered.
Our mission is to improve the lives of animals by effecting a change in the Canadian mindset and culture to place a priority on respect for the needs (physical, psychological, and behavioural) of all animals kept by people for research, education, agriculture, and companionship, and to reduce harms to wildlife caused by human activity.
The AWFC has approximately $35,000 per year to award to Animal Welfare Organizations (AWOs) for projects that accord with the AWFC’s strategic direction. All AWO applicants must be a registered Canadian charity.
What We Fund
The AWFC funds a wide variety of animal welfare programs and projects. These have included:
- Animal welfare research projects.
- Public outreach initiatives to raise awareness about specific animal welfare issues.
- Development of farm animal welfare standards and regulations.
- Creation of a database of legislative and judicial rulings concerning animal cruelty cases.
- Online humane education content for school children; promotional initiatives to protect wildlife.
- Education kits concerning wildlife in captivity.
Project outcomes should improve and advance animal welfare policies and practices; increase public awareness, understanding and engagement in key animal welfare issues and solutions; and enhance and protect the well-being and habitats of domestic, farm and/or wild animals.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- All AWO applicants must be a registered Canadian charity.
- Preference will be given to projects that have a national impact, or to projects that are local/regional in nature but the project, materials and outcomes could be shared or duplicated nationally with similar organizations.
- We will also give preference to projects that will have significant impact but may have difficulty in attracting donor funding.
- What we do not fund:
- Operational costs for non-profit and for-profit organizations, including the cost of organization staff.
- General event sponsorship (i.e. unspecified use of funds).
- Food/drink at events, conferences or lectures.
- Bursaries and scholarships other than those managed by the AWFC.
- Costs for projects that have commenced or were completed prior to application.
- Capital campaigns/expenses or building/shelter infrastructure costs, including items such as kennels and enrichment for animals.
- Financing costs (debt retirement or reserves, mortgage pay-downs).
- Veterinary or direct animal care expenses, including spay and neuter and transport costs.