ARL Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
Grant amount: US $100,000
Anticipated deadline: May 1, 2018
Applicant type: Postdoctoral Researcher
Funding uses: Fellowship
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: Anywhere in the world
Degree requirements: Applicants must be within a few years of receiving their PhDView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The ARL Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship will provide the opportunity for recipients to pursue independent research of their own choosing that supports the mission of ARL. The Fellow benefits by having this opportunity and by working alongside some of the Nation's best scientists and engineers. ARL benefits by the expected transfer of new science and technology that enhances the capabilities of the U.S. Army and the warfighter in times of both peace and war.
For more than 50 years, the Army Research Laboratory (ARL) has conducted the great majority of the Army's basic science programs. Among their many successes, ARL civilian employees helped develop the proximity fuze, worked to develop ENIAC (Electronic Numerical Integrator and Computer, the first operational, general purpose, electronic digital computer), grew some of the first synthetic large quartz crystals, and developed the titanium alloy Ti-6Al-4V. Currently, ARL scientists and engineers are pioneering research in such areas as neuroscience, energetic materials and propulsion, electronics technologies, network sciences, virtual interfaces, and synthetic environments and autonomous systems. They are leaders in modeling and simulation, and have high performance computing resources on-site. They are expanding into frontier areas, such as quantum information and quantum networks.
The Army Research Laboratory invites exceptional young researchers to participate in this excitement as ARL Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellows. These Fellows must display extraordinary ability in scientific research, and show clear promise of becoming outstanding leaders. Candidates are expected to have successfully tackled a major scientific or engineering problem during their thesis work or to have provided a new approach or insight, evidenced by a recognized impact in their field.
Fellowship terms and benefits
- Health insurance
- Paid relocation
- Professional travel allowance
- One-year appointments renewable for up to three years based on performance
- Fellowship appointments require a full-time commitment to the research program at ARL, and Fellows must be in residence at ARL (i.e. conduct their research on site) during the entire period of the appointment. In some cases, ARL may provide for temporary location at another facility (e.g. another federal facility or a facility ARL is working with under the Open Campus effort) to meet the specific needs of the research program.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- By the application deadline, applicants must have completed all the requirements for a Ph.D. or Sc.D. degree in the physical sciences, life sciences, computational sciences, behavioral sciences or engineering.
- Applicants must be within three years from date of award of Ph.D. at time of application.
- There are no citizenship requirements; however, selected fellows must pass a Department of Defense clearance process, requiring a background security investigation.
- Foreign nationals must get further DoD approval, requiring a background investigation.
- Applicants must demonstrate exceptional qualifications with respect to academic and scholarly achievement, as evidenced by research and publication.
- Candidates are expected to have conducted research on a major scientific or engineering problem during their thesis work or have provided a new approach or insight evidenced by a recognized impact in their field.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the ARL Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.