Shiu-Ying Hu Student/ Postdoctoral Exchange Award
Arnold Arboretum of Harvard UniversitySuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $2,500
Anticipated deadline: Feb 1, 2021
Applicant type: Undergraduate Student Graduate Student Postdoctoral Researcher
Funding uses: Conference, Research
Location of project: China, Massachusetts
Location of residency: China, Massachusetts
Must travel to: China, Massachusetts
Degree requirements: Applicants must be within a few years of receiving their PhDView website Save
About this funder:
Professor Shiu-Ying Hu (1910-2012) made innumerable and important contributions to botanical science through her vast knowledge, collecting activities and research, writings and publications, and tireless personal devotion to the plant kingdom. In a career that spanned more than seven decades, she made her mark in the field of plant taxonomy as Emeritus Senior Research Fellow of the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University and Honorary Professor of Chinese Medicine at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. An internationally-recognized authority on Ilex (hollies), Hemerocaulis (daylilies), Paulownia, Compositae (daisies), and Orchidaceae (orchids), Professor Hu collected and identified as many as 185,000 plant specimens and published more than 160 papers over the course of her lifetime.
Professor Hu’s work as a researcher and teacher inspired multiple generations of botanical students around the world, particularly those interested in the flora of her native China and its disjunct companion species in North America. As the steward of one of the world’s premiere collections of Chinese plants (held outside of Asia), the Arnold Arboretum served as a focal training ground for Shiu-Ying Hu after she became the first Chinese woman to earn a doctorate in botany from Harvard University.
The Shiu-Ying Hu Student/Postdoctoral Exchange Award is made possible by the generosity of family, friends, colleagues, and admirers of eminent Chinese botanist and taxonomist Professor Shiu-Ying Hu (1910-2012).
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- The Shiu-Ying Hu Student/Postdoctoral Exchange Award supports American-Chinese exchanges for graduate students, advanced undergraduate students, and/or postdoctoral researchers studying the comparative biology of woody plants, including:
- developmental biology
- reproductive biology
- Awards are granted to support awardee travel, research and/or living expenses.
- Applicants must be students or post-doctoral researchers from either the People’s Republic of China OR from Harvard University.
- Awardee(s) chosen from the People’s Republic of China will receive funds to conduct studies involving the living collections at the Arnold Arboretum.
- Awardee(s) from Harvard University will receive funds to conduct studies in the field or at a botanical institution in China.
- Awards are not intended to serve as a salary stipend.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Shiu-Ying Hu Student/ Postdoctoral Exchange Award by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.