Arnold O. Beckman Postdoctoral Fellowship
Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation
Grant amount: US $180,000 - US $370,000
Anticipated deadline: Sep 6, 2019
Applicant type: PhD Student Postdoctoral Researcher
Funding uses: Fellowship
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: United States
Location of citizenship: United States
Degree requirements: Applicants must be within 3 years of receiving their PhDView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Statement of Research Grant Policy & Procedure
The Arnold O. Beckman Postdoctoral Fellowship in Chemical Sciences or Chemical Instrumentation Award Program supports advanced research by postdoctoral scholars within the core areas of fundamental chemistry or the development and build of chemical instrumentation; research must be innovative in method, speed or process, or represent new instrument technology. This fellowship will be a catalyst from "mentored yet independent" postdocs to outstanding, independent researchers in academic or industry/governmental labs.
The Fellowships will be in two tracks (applicants will choose one):
Postdoctoral Fellowship in Chemical Sciences will allow chemists to pursue advanced research within the core areas of fundamental chemistry, such as chemical physics, chemical engineering, and chemistry of materials research. The fellowship is not intended to fund proposals that are supported by traditional NIH mechanisms in the fields of chemistry, chemical biology, biochemistry.
Postdoctoral Fellowship in Chemical Instrumentation will allow researchers in chemistry to conceptualize, develop and build instrumentation suitable to advanced research in chemistry, chemical physics, chemical engineering, and chemistry of materials science. Instrumentation projects must be suitable to the two-year fellowship timeframe, be driven by a need in the chemical sciences listed above, be innovative in method speed or process or represent a wholly new instrument for technical advancement in chemistry, and may potentially be used for future research in the broader scientific community.
- Fellows will be appointed for two years, with possibility for third year by renewal.
- Fellows will begin in July of program year.
- The award amount is $180,000 over 2 years for salary, fringe benefits and research expenditures; instrumentation fellowships will receive an additional one-time amount of up to $100,000. Fellows receiving year 3 renewal award will receive additional $90,000.
- The Arnold O. Beckman Postdoctoral Fellows Award is a merit based program; issues of gender, race and financial need will not be considered contributing factors in the application review process.
- This program is an Open Call; institutions are not limited to the number of candidates which may apply.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Criteria for Applicants at time of application:
- At a U.S. college, university or institution which offers postdoctoral fellowships and holds a 501(c)(3), or similarly qualifying, IRS designation; and
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States; and
- Current graduate student anticipated to complete a PhD in the chemical sciences by May 1, 2019; or
- Current postdoctoral researcher with a granted/conferred PhD in the chemical sciences with no more than 12 months cumulative postdoctoral research experience; and
- Must pursue postdoctoral training in an area of chemical sciences that would likely not be eligible for funding by traditional chemical biology, biochemical or biological science mechanisms (e.g., NIH-K award); and
- Must have identified a mentor in the chemical sciences at a qualified U.S. nonprofit college, university or institution with appropriate laboratory facilities to support their postdoctoral research proposal.
- Criteria for Sponsoring Mentor at time of application:
- PhD, or MD/PhD; and
- Full-time tenured or tenure track with at least a 25% appointment in chemistry, chemical physics, chemical engineering, or materials chemistry department at their institution; and
- Active investigator in the applicant’s area of research; and
- Mentors may only sponsor one applicant per program year for consideration
- Any of the following conditions will render an applicant ineligible:
- At the time of application, applicants with more than 12 months of cumulative postdoctoral experience in a research lab, or who are more than 3 years from their PhD, are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants may not submit applications to both the "Chemical Sciences" and "Chemical Instrumentation" fellowships in a single program year.
- Visa holders are not eligible to apply.
- Government laboratories, such as NIH or federally funded national laboratories are not eligible institutions.
- Applicant has not successfully completed their PhD by May 1, 2019.
- Applicants may not have faculty appointments.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Arnold O. Beckman Postdoctoral Fellowship by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.