AWG Minority Scholarship
Association for Women Geoscientists
Grant amount: Up to US $6,000
Anticipated deadline: Jun 30, 2018
Applicant type: High School Student Undergraduate Student
Funding uses: Scholarship
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Anywhere in the world
Location of citizenship: United States, United States Minor Outlying Islands
Gender restriction: Female
Exclusive to minorities: YesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
This new program encourages young minority women to pursue an education and later
a career in the geosciences. It provides financial aid and matches the student with a
mentor in the same field who will offer guidance and support. This exchange will
enhance the student’s experience and provide a view of the world ahead.
This scholarship program encourages minority women to pursue an education, and later a career, in the geosciences. Specifically, it provides up to $6,000 in awards each year to undergraduate students and matches them with AWG mentors in their fields. Awards also include a one year membership in AWG, the world’s largest organization for women geoscientists. Students can develop close relationships with their mentors, contacting them to discuss ideas, get advice, or learn about career paths. Any applicant may request an AWG mentor, even if she does not receive a scholarship.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applicants must be women who can prove that they are United States citizens (including the United States territories).
- Applicants must belong to one of these under-represented ethnic minorities:
- Native American (including American Indian, Eskimo, Hawaiian, or Samoan).
- Financial support is for full-time students who are enrolling, or are already enrolled, in an accredited institution as undergraduates in a degree-granting program
- (a student who has completed coursework at a community college and intends to transfer to a 4-year college or university with a geoscience program is also eligible for this award)
- Applicants must also be majoring in a geoscience field such as:
- physical oceanography,
- planetary geology, or
- earth-science education.
- High school seniors may apply, but if they are selected to receive a scholarship, the funds will not be sent until AWG receives proof of enrollment in an appropriate university program, such as a letter from the student's academic advisor or a course schedule.
- Prior recipients of AWG Minority Geoscience Scholarships may reapply for continuing support during each of their undergraduate years.
- This program does not support students in other natural sciences, mathematics, engineering, or land-use planning.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the AWG Minority Scholarship by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.