Beckman Scholars Program: Institutional Applicants
Arnold and Mabel Beckman FoundationSuggest an update
Anticipated deadline: Jun 15, 2021 5:00pm PDT (Full proposal)
Grant amount: Approximately US $18,200
Fields of work: Academic Scholarship Programs
Applicant type: College / University
Funding uses: Research, Scholarship
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save
About this funder:
NOTE: Institutions - Invitations are distributed in February. Proposals are due in June by invitation only. If you would like to supply information for consideration, we will use it to evaluate the institution's inclusion in our application invitation. Materials should be submitted via email.
The Beckman Scholars Program is a limited-submission, invitation-only program.
The Beckman Scholars Program is a 15-month mentored research experience for exceptional undergraduate students in chemistry, biological sciences, or interdisciplinary combinations thereof.
Institutional award spans three years; four to six Student/Mentor pairs per Institution.
Receive $21,000 per Student/$5,000 per Mentor.
Each year, the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation reviews information about institutions across the country and identifies colleges and universities to receive Beckman Scholars Program application invitations.
Invited institutions demonstrate a significant commitment to undergraduate research in chemistry, the biological sciences and/or interdisciplinary combinations thereof. They also show the capability to compete successfully on a national level for scientific research funds in peer-reviewed government and private foundation supported programs over previous years. Their faculties and their research facilities are judged to be of the quality necessary to support the caliber of undergraduate research program sought for Beckman Scholars.
Example factors considered in these selections include:
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Research Support
- NIH Academic Research Enhancement Awards (NIHE)
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Research Awards
- NSF Research Experiences for Undergraduates Awards (REU)
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Undergraduate Grants (HH)
- Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation Grants "to advance the science of chemistry and the related sciences" (Dreyfus)
- Research Corporation Cottrell College Science Awards (ResC)
- American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund Awards (PRF)
- Active chemistry and biological sciences participation at the National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR) Annual Meetings
Request an Invitation
INSTITUTIONS: If you would like to supply information for consideration, we will use it to evaluate the institution's inclusion in our next application invitation. Materials should be submitted via email.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Institutional award, limited-submission by invitation only.
- The Beckman Scholars Program does not issue awards directly to individuals; it is an institutional award program.
- If you are an undergraduate student in the area of chemistry, biochemistry, biology, or other science discipline, contact your institution's department chairs or research support office for more information.
- Note: We are not able to extend Beckman Scholars Program application invitations to every deserving institution that provides undergraduate research experiences for its students.
- The limited number of institutional awards we provide precludes us from doing this.