Grassroots Organizing for Social Change Grant Program
Ben & Jerry's FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $25,000
Next deadline: Apr 15, 2020 1:00pm PDT (Pre proposal)
Later deadlines: Oct 23, 2020 1:00pm PDT (Pre proposal)
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Training / Capacity Building, General Operating Expense, Project / Program
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
Our Theory of Change
- People most affected by a problem are in the best position to determine the solutions to that problem.
- True change occurs only when underlying, systemic forces are understood and addressed.
- Grassroots, constituent-led organizing is among the most effective means to create social change. We define organizing as collective action that challenges the status quo, demands changes in policy and practice, educates communities about root causes of social problems, and advocates and agitates for systemic and just solutions.
- Lasting change occurs when Social Justice Movements are built from the ground up and grassroots groups come together across sectors and constituencies to work for the common principles of Human Rights and Justice for All.
The Grassroots Organizing for Social Change program supports organizations that share and embody this theory of change.
Grassroots Organizing for Social Change
The Grassroots Organizing for Social Change Program offers general or project support to non-profit organizations throughout the United States and is our most competitive grant program.
While our broad goals are to further social and environmental justice and support sustainable and just food systems, we focus on the types of activities and strategies an organization uses for creating social change rather than on the specific issues the organization is addressing.
Priority Strategies must include:
- Community & ally outreach
- Leadership development
- Constituent empowerment &decision-making
- Popular education
- Root cause analysis
- Power analysis
- Campaign development
- Mobilizing constituents & allies
- Coalition building
- Direct action
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Only organizations with budgets under $500,000 and with 501(c)3 status, or who have a fiscal agent with this status are eligible to apply.
- We will only consider proposals from grassroots, constituent-led organizations that are using community-organizing and base-building strategies to accomplish their goals.
We make one-year grants.
- Areas not funded:
- Direct services to individuals, families or communities
- Internationally focused programs
- Organizations with annual budgets over $500,000
- Discretionary or emergency requests
- Schools or programs for schools
- Colleges or universities
- Individuals or scholarship programs
- Research, litigation or legal expenses
- Capital or endowment campaigns
- State agencies or government programs
- Businesses or business associations
- Religious activities
- Arts or Media program
- Other foundations or regranting organizations
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Grassroots Organizing for Social Change Grant Program by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.