Biffa Award Main Grants Scheme
Grant amount: £10,000 - £75,000
Anticipated deadline: The deadline for this grant has passed
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Applied Project / Program
Location of project: United Kingdom
Location of residency: United Kingdom
NOTE: This grant page has been archived & replaced with new grant pages by theme area:
Under the Main Grants Scheme, we look to award grants to projects that provide or improve biodiversity, community spaces, cultural facilities, and places for outdoor recreation.
You may have a building that needs improvement in order to increase the range of services on offer to the local community. You could have a site-based project that is working to protect and enhance a species or habitat. Or maybe it’s an open space such as a park, play area or woodland that needs transforming to benefit local people of all ages. In a nutshell, we want to make sure that everyone has access to high quality local community facilities.
At Biffa Award, we are proud to be a significant part of the Landfill Communities Fund, supporting positive change across the UK.
Know our Themes
For renovation, repairs, and refurbishments of community facilities and spaces.
Recreation is an activity of leisure for enjoyment, pleasure and development purposes, and every community should have access to high-quality recreational spaces. These spaces are pivotal in developing a sense of community and providing opportunities for improved health and wellbeing for people of all ages.
Biffa Award provides funding under the Recreation theme to projects that transform open spaces for the benefit of the community, providing them with more opportunities to become involved in recreational activity.
Examples of projects that fall under this category are green spaces, woodland walks, play areas, sports facilities and community gardens.
Biodiversity means the variety of natural living things - different plants, animals and insects. It is important that we protect and strengthen our natural environment so that it can adapt to threats such as climate change, and is protected for future generations to enjoy.
Biffa Award looks to support site-based projects that protect and enhance biodiversity across the UK, particularly those concentrating on species and habitats that have been identified as a priority in Biodiversity Action Plans.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Please note that organisations must be not for profit.
- The main criteria for Community Buildings and Recreation projects are:
- The project's site is within 5 miles of a significant Biffa operation or within 10 miles of an active Biffa Landfill site.
- Check your project’s postcode using the Postcode Checker.
- The project's site is also within 10 miles of any licensed landfill site
- To find your nearest landfill site, visit the Environment Agency website
- The total cost of the project is less than £200,000
- There will be a minimum of 104 days of full public access to the project per year
- Any Biffa Award grant will be used for site-based improvement work.
- The applicant organisation and project are eligible for enrollment and registration with the scheme's regulator, ENTRUST.
- In addition to those above, the criteria for Rebuilding Biodiversity projects are:
- The project's site is within 15 miles of a significant Biffa operation.
- Check your project’s postcode using the Postcode Checker
- The project has specific targets in relation to a Biodiversity Action Plan and will deliver a direct improvement to biodiversity
- Your organisation has the support of key agencies, and has partners involved in the project's delivery
- There is a management plan in place for the key species / habitat(s) involved
- Biffa Award is unable to fund requests to help an existing facility meet the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act
- Biffa Award is unable to fund retrospectively, so you should only apply for funding for work that will take place in the future
- Local authorities cannot apply or enroll.
- Any Biffa Award grant will not fund equipment or running costs.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Biffa Award Main Grants Scheme by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.