First Steps Grants
Binky FoundationSuggest an update
Anticipated deadline: Nov 1, 2020
Grant amount: Up to US $2,000
Fields of work: Land/Habitat Conservation Animal Welfare - General
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Research, Capital Project, Education / Outreach, Project / Program
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save
About this funder:
The Binky Foundation
Motivated by a life time of commitment to animal protection and habitat preservation, Michalina and Peter Bickford founded The Binky Foundation in 2004. The Foundation is named for their beloved cat, Binky. When Binky was a kitten it was discovered that he had an enzyme deficiency requiring that his food be treated every day for him to survive. He was Mickey’s and Peter’s friend and companion for eighteen years, and helped to crystallize their understanding about the interconnection and fragile dependence of humans and other animals. In his honor, Mickey and Peter have sought to encourage and help those who understand this bond.
The Binky Foundation is a 501 (c) (3) charitable organization dedicated to the protection of domestic and wild animals and the protection and expansion of animal habitats. We seek to pursue this mission:
- By supporting individuals or entities engaged in this work through education, research, field studies, and habitat acquisitions or by other innovative means.
- By supporting other 501 (c)(3) organizations engaged in similar activities.
- By making accurate and useful information about animals and their habitats broadly available.
At The Binky Foundation we believe that education is the most important shield against the destruction of habitat and its dependent wildlife and the development of understanding and respect for all animals (domestic or wild). If long term benefits are to come from current efforts, we must spark the intellectual interest and enthusiasm of new generations of potential leaders who will continue nurturing these efforts in to the future. The success in developing knowledgeable, open-minded individuals as future leaders—for business or government, as well as for conservation groups or care providers—will in large measure determine whether gains made today can be maintained and expanded tomorrow. Therefore, a principal focus of The Binky Foundation is to provide funding for new research and educational efforts and for already established and effective internship programs.
Although there are many organizations nationwide that are involved in various aspects of animal and habitat protection, most are focused on “big picture” issues. Yet frequently the smallest efforts properly focused can become the seeds from which substantial efforts grow. At The Binky Foundation we recognize that the resources for starting an initiative are often the hardest to obtain. Thus, our grant program is focused primarily on assisting individuals and organizations seeking to take those initial steps that are critical to achieving a significant benefit or advancement toward protecting animals and their habitats.
First Step Grants
Our First Steps Grant Program is designed to help small, local organizations get a firm basis for future sustainability or to help expand or perpetuate an organization’s ability to perform its mission. The Foundation provides grants of up to $2000 that come within the following guidelines and criteria:
- Support for a program in the early stages of development that is moving towards sustainability.
- Support for a specific one-time need that will provide a long-term benefit (such as to help purchase a piece of equipment or to make an improvement to a facility).
- Support for educational initiatives that will provide a long-term benefit or help an organization achieve sustainability.
- Support for unusual or imaginative new initiatives that are designed to provide long-term benefits or advancements toward protecting animals and their habitats.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- The Binky Foundation does not provide direct payment for food or medical support for animals, or short-term support for an organization’s general budget for these services.
- Please note that The Binky Foundation is not designed for and does not have the resources to fund individual pet care, including direct reimbursement to veterinarians, or for housing or the purchase of food. We urge individuals seeking such help contact local shelters or other local charitable organizations that may provide such assistance.
Want to discover new grants?
See how we help our customers save time and find new funding by trying out Instrumentl for 14-days free or learn more.
“This is the best foundation match & grant tracking tool I've used in my many years of fundraising.”