Summer Vacation Studentships
Biochemical SocietySuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to £1,600
Deadline: Feb 22, 2019
Applicant type: Undergraduate Student
Funding uses: Conference, Research
Membership: Applicants must be a member of this organization to apply. Become a member.
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Anywhere in the worldView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The Biochemical Society sets aside as much funding as possible for its annual Summer Vacation Studentship Scheme. The purpose of the Scheme is to provide undergraduate students in biochemistry and related subjects with hands-on experience of laboratory research. Studentship experiences are hard to come by and, if awarded, the experience can benefit a young researcher and their supervisor greatly.
Grants are available for stipends of £200 per week for 6 – 8 weeks, and up to £1,600 in total, to support an undergraduate student to carry out a summer lab placement. This scheme not only benefits the student as they get valuable research experience, but the supervisor also gains an extra pair of hands in the lab.
Interested students must pair up with a potential supervisor, develop a project together, then apply for funding. Applicants (supervisors) must be members of the Biochemical Society working in a university or research institute, and apply for the grant on behalf of the student.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applicants (supervisors) must be working in a university or research institute.
- The student applicant would
ideally be an undergraduate studying a degree course in biochemistry or a
related molecular life science subject.
- The Society would consider
accepting intercalating undergraduate medical students whose
intercalated degree is in biochemistry or a related molecular life
- Students take up the award during the summer vacation before their final year.
- Students carrying out a three year undergraduate course are eligible in their second year of study.
- Students carrying out four year course are eligible in their second or third years of study.
- Post-docs are able to apply for sponsorship for a student, but a letter of support from their PI must be included in their application.
- The grant proposal submitted would be within the remit of the molecular biosciences, and must not form part of the student's normal degree work.
You must be a member of this organization to apply for this award - become a member. Applicants (supervisors) must be members of the Biochemical Society for at least 12 months prior to the closing date of the grants.
- When ranking proposals, preference will be given to student members of the Biochemical Society.
- Preference will be given to research projects with a clearly defined objective, achievable in the time available, and which give the student scope for thought and initiative.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Summer Vacation Studentships by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.