Ignite the Power of STEM Grants Program
Grant amount: US $2,000 - US $5,000
Anticipated deadline: Jan 15, 2019
Applicant type: Teacher Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach
Location of project: Massachusetts, North Carolina
Location of residency: Massachusetts, North CarolinaView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Ignite the Power of STEM Grants Program supports teachers and schools in Massachusetts and North Carolina to help them bring hands-on science programming to their students. Individual teachers may apply for up to $2,000. Schools may apply for up to $5,000.
Programs should be designed to:
- Promote science literacy in innovative ways among students
- Enable teachers to bring new, exciting hands-on science experiences to their students
- Encourage equal-access, quality STEM education
- Inspire students to pursue STEM careers
The Ignite the Power of STEM grants will be awarded on a one-time basis. The Biogen Foundation will consider a broad range of projects, as long as they expand and enhance science education at the elementary, middle and/or high school levels. Grants will be awarded to teachers and schools that present proposals which incorporate new and innovative methods to enhance the teaching of science.
Funds may be used for:
- Purchase of laboratory materials or classroom technology enhancements for use by students in hands-on experimentation
- Fee to cover the stipend for an expert to speak to a science class
- Purchase of books, workbooks, lab manuals, etc. not covered by regular instructional budget (not replacement of textbooks covered by school budget)
- Transportation for students to participate in field trips to science museums, Biogen Community Lab, or other programs of scientific interest
- Admission fees for classes on educational field trips to science museums, botanical gardens, zoological gardens, etc.
- Curricular materials or other needs for regular classroom programs
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Massachusetts: Applications will be accepted from full-time professional personnel from public and charter schools located in Massachusetts that had at least one individual from their school district registered for or in attendance at the MA STEM Summit on November 10, 2015
- North Carolina: We will accept applications from full-time professional personnel from public and charter schools located in North Carolina.
- We will accept one teacher grant application and one school grant application per school.
- We will also accept applications from non-profit STEM education programs that serve K-12 students.
- In considering applications, the selection committee will give priority to efforts that:
- Are innovative and promote new ways of teaching STEM to inspire students
- Have clear goals and measurable outcomes consistent with the science education mission of the Biogen Foundation
- Emphasize the life sciences – particularly biology, neuroscience and biotechnology
- Will have a positive impact on a significant number of youth
- Are likely to be sustainable after the initial grant period ends
- The selection committee will give special consideration to efforts that target underserved youth and/or groups that are underrepresented in STEM fields including, but not limited to, female, minority and disabled students.
- North Carolina: Preference will be given to 2015 Bridging the Gap STEM education conference registrants, attendees and to programs that work with schools that attended the conference.
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Ignite the Power of STEM Grants Program by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.