New Horizons Grants
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $25,000
Next deadline: Feb 28, 2020 2:00pm PST
Later deadlines: Jun 1, 2020 2:00pm PDT, Sep 1, 2020 2:00pm PDT, Nov 29, 2020 2:00pm PST
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Project / Program, Education / Outreach
Location of project: Louisiana
Location of residency: LouisianaView website Save
About this funder:
About New Horizons Grants
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana Foundation recognizes the need to foster innovation as means of improving health and wellbeing in Louisiana. Through this program, we hope to encourage a research-based and scientific approach to philanthropy through testing ideas and seeing what works. The first step in that process is challenging the status quo with new ideas.
Our goal is to find exciting, emerging ideas and social startups that have the potential to disrupt negative trends in health, education and other issues that directly impact quality of life for Louisianians. A successful New Horizons project may make changes in policies, norms practices and social supports; it may also be a new pilot intervention, plan or approach to solving an existing issue.
Grants help pilot innovative, proof of concept projects aimed at improving the health and wellbeing of Louisianians.About New Horizons Grants
New Horizons Grants support innovative approaches that either solve or more effectively address existing issues related to health, education or well-being.
A New Horizons Grant project could include, but is not limited to:
- Creating a resource that doesn’t currently exist;
- Creating and/or piloting a service that doesn’t currently exist;
- Taking an existing resource or service that isn’t currently effective and implementing it in a new way or field; or
- Conducting research that has not been conducted to date.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- The New Horizons grant program is for new, experimental ideas. Grants are given to promote innovation by funding brand new pilot projects through their first year.
- You should apply for a New Horizons grant if:
- You have a narrow, specific problem you’re trying to solve; AND
- You are presenting a new and innovative approach to solving that issue.
- All New Horizons applications must:
- Explain how your proposal is a new, innovative approach to solving the problem you have identified above; AND
- Explain how you are substantially revising or altering an existing best practice, such that your proposal represents a new approach.
- All organizations applying for grants or sponsorships must:
- Be designated a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization by the IRS.
- We only give to nonprofit organizations working for charitable, religious, scientific, literary and other organizations under Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3).
- Be registered “in good standing” with the Louisiana Secretary of State.
- All organizations must be up-to-date on their filings with the Louisiana Secretary of State.
- You can find more information here.
- Be domiciled in Louisiana.
- We only make gifts to organizations who are based in Louisiana and working for the welfare of Louisianians
- We do not fund New Horizons proposals for the following:
- Existing programs or ongoing organizational support
- Existing best practices support
- Replicating or expanding a program or approach that already exists.
- In addition, neither Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana or its Foundation makes grants or sponsorships to the following under any circumstances:
- Providers on contract with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana;
- Programs or events outside of Louisiana;
- Organizations that are not tax-exempt;
- Political campaigns, candidates, parties or partisan activities ;
- Sectarian, denominational or religious organizations for support of theological functions ;
- Athletes or athletic teams ;
- Beauty pageants ;
- Direct funding of labor, fraternal or veterans’ organizations ;
- Students raising funds for travel to an out-of-state competition ;
- Parent-teacher organizations ;
- Capital projects or campaigns ;
- Organizations or causes that do not complement the Foundation’s mission.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the New Horizons Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.