Bothin Foundation Grant
Bothin FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: US $5,000 - US $50,000
Next deadline: Feb 21, 2020 5:00pm PST
Later deadlines: Jul 10, 2020 5:00pm PDT, Nov 8, 2020 5:00pm PST
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Capital Project
Location of project: Counties in California: Marin County, San Francisco County, San Mateo County, Sonoma County
Location of residency: Counties in California: Marin County, San Francisco County, San Mateo County, Sonoma CountyView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
The Bothin Foundation helps to build the capacity of nonprofits with grants for durable capital investments. The foundation makes capital grants to social service, education, arts, and environmental nonprofit organizations that provide direct services to:
- disadvantaged children and youth (ages 0 to 24),
- low-income families, and
- people with disabilities.
The foundation also supports K-12 schools exclusively serving children with learning differences.
Examples of capital grants include:
- building improvements,
- vehicle requests,
- program equipment, and
- technology needs.
Types of Grants
Building Renovation Grants
- The foundation will fund any contracted labor directly associated with the project. This could include labor for removal or installation of materials or the hiring of expertise needed to complete the project, such as engineers or contractors.
- The foundation does NOT fund staff time for project management.
- The foundation prioritizes requests to purchase equipment that will be used by program participants.
- Technology grants to support an organization’s infrastructure (e.g., servers, computers for staff use, phone systems) are generally one-time grants.
- The foundation does not fund website development project or software.
- The foundation prioritizes vehicle purchases that transport participants.
- Insurance, gas, advertising on van (wrap-around printing), and warranties are not covered by grants.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- In order to be eligible for a grant from the Bothin Foundation, applicants must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Be a public charity operating under an IRS 501(c)(3) status or be fiscally sponsored by a 501(c)(3) organization;
- Serve significant numbers of the residents of San Francisco, Marin, Sonoma, and/or San Mateo counties;
- Provide direct service to disadvantaged children and youth, low-income families, and/or people with disabilities; and
- Have not received a grant from the foundation in the last three full years.
- Successful Grant Applications will:
- Be for capital projects that can be completed within 12 months of receiving a grant (Please keep this timeline in mind when considering the best time to apply for a grant);
- Be durable capital investments that directly impact clients and have an immediate need and/or are time sensitive;
- Be a direct service organization serving at least 50% low-income families or children (exception: for programs that serve those with disabilities exclusively, disability status and low-income status are given equal weight;and
- Request a grant in the range of $5,000 – $50,000 based on need.
- Grants are not made to individuals, religious organizations (except for non-sectarian programs), or K-12 schools that do not exclusively serve children with learning differences and developmental disabilities.
- The foundation generally does not fund hospitals. Occasionally, it will make exceptions for public and county hospitals and community clinics.
- The foundation does not fund endowment drives, events, general operating expenses, annual appeals, videos, medical research, or scholarships.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Bothin Foundation Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.