Boyd N. Lyon Scholarship
The Ocean Foundation
Grant amount: US $2,500
Anticipated deadline: Jan 31, 2019
Applicant type: Graduate Student
Funding uses: Research
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Anywhere in the worldView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The Ocean Foundation and The Boyd Lyon Sea Turtle Fund seek applicants for the Boyd N. Lyon Scholarship. This Scholarship was created in honor of the late Boyd N. Lyon, a true friend and respected researcher who had a unique passion for the study and preservation of the majestic sea turtle.
In his effort to research and protect these creatures, he implemented a hand capturing method for tagging and studying turtles without using nets. This method, while not commonly used by other researchers, was the one Boyd preferred, since it enabled the capture of the rarely studied male sea turtles.
Applications are invited from Masters and Ph.D. level students that work and/or research in an area consistent with the Boyd Lyon Sea Turtle Fund’s mission to support field research projects that further our knowledge of sea turtle behavior and habitat use in the marine environment, as well as those projects that promote their management and conservation in coastal ecosystems.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applications to be considered must address questions from a wide range of fields in sea turtle research and conservation including, but not limited to:
- life history studies
- marine affairs
- environmental sciences
- public policy
- community planning, and
- natural resources
- Applicants must be graduate students enrolled in an accredited College or University (in the U.S. or internationally) with a minimum of 9 credits complete.
- Both full and part time students are welcome to apply.
- Applicants must clearly demonstrate interest in enhancing our understanding of sea turtle behavior and conservation, habitat
needs, abundance, spatial and temporal distribution, as well as contribution(s) to advancing the public
interest in such issues. This is demonstrated through both of the following:
- Having a major field of study pertaining to oceanography, marine affairs, environmental sciences, public policy, community planning or natural resources.
- Participating in cooperative or independent research, environmental activities or work experience related
to the above mentioned disciplines.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Boyd N. Lyon Scholarship by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.