Boyd N. Lyon Scholarship
The Ocean FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: US $2,500
Anticipated deadline: Dec 15, 2019
Applicant type: Graduate Student
Funding uses: Research
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Anywhere in the worldView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
About the Boyd Lyon Sea Turtle Fund
Dedicated to the memory of Boyd N. Lyon, this Committee Advised Fund provides an annual scholarship to a marine biology student whose research is focused on sea turtles.
Boyd, a true friend and respected researcher had a unique passion for the study and preservation of the majestic sea turtle. In his effort to research and protect these creatures, he implemented a hand capturing method for tagging and studying turtles without using nets. This method, while not commonly used by most researchers, was the one Boyd preferred since it assured the capture of the rarely studied male sea turtles.
Boyd is no longer with us but you can help continue his legacy. For those who would like to contribute to making his vision a reality, and for those who have special interest in the study and protection of sea turtles and the major role they play in balancing marine ecosystems, this fund supports conservation of sea turtles as well as research to increase our understanding of these ancient giants. The Fund also supports scholarships for others like Boyd who are seeking a degree in this field.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applications to be considered must address questions from a wide range of fields in sea turtle research and conservation including, but not limited to:
- life history studies
- marine affairs
- environmental sciences
- public policy
- community planning, and
- natural resources
- Applicants must be graduate students enrolled in an accredited College or University (in the U.S. or internationally) with a minimum of 9 credits complete.
- Both full and part time students are welcome to apply.
- Applicants must clearly demonstrate interest in enhancing our understanding of sea turtle behavior and conservation, habitat
needs, abundance, spatial and temporal distribution, as well as contribution(s) to advancing the public
interest in such issues. This is demonstrated through both of the following:
- Having a major field of study pertaining to oceanography, marine affairs, environmental sciences, public policy, community planning or natural resources.
- Participating in cooperative or independent research, environmental activities or work experience related
to the above mentioned disciplines.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Boyd N. Lyon Scholarship by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.