Upland Game Bird Account Grants
California Department of Fish & Wildlife
Grant amount: Up to US $350,000
Anticipated deadline: May 5, 2019 3:00pm PDT
Applicant type: College / University Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Research, Applied Project / Program
Location of project: California
Location of residency: CaliforniaView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The Upland Game Bird Account is a dedicated account created by the California Legislature in 2010 (currently Fish and Game Code Section 3684) to ensure funds generated by the sale of upland game bird hunting validations and stamps be used in programs and projects which benefit upland game birds as defined in Fish and Game Code Section 3683.
The legislation creating this account also mandated a public advisory committee, composed of "interested non-profit organizations that have goals and objectives directly related to the management and conservation of game bird species and primarily represent the interest of persons licensed pursuant to 3031[hunters]”. This committee is responsible for reviewing project proposals and budgets and providing recommendations regarding them and other issues of relevance to the department's executive leadership team for game related activities.
The objective of the Upland Game Bird Account Grant Program (UGBAGP) is to implement projects which benefit upland game bird populations and the habitats upon which they depend with the goal of ensuring that sustainable populations of these species persist in perpetuity in order to provide continued hunting opportunity and other public uses. The UGBAGP will accomplish this by funding:
- Projects and activities that provide demonstrable and measureable benefits to upland game species by increasing the quality and/or quantity of available habitats
- Projects which increase our knowledge and understanding of the scope and impact of inter-specific competition, predation, and disease
- Projects which increase the understanding of population dynamics, distribution, and habitat selection
- Projects which increase the accuracy, precision, and efficiency of population surveys
- Projects which increase hunting opportunity
- Projects which increase our ability to detect and apprehend those involved in illegal hunting activities
- Projects which broaden our knowledge and understanding of stakeholder expectations
Proposals must meet the requirements of Fish and Game Code Section 3684 which states:
“These funds shall be expended solely for the purpose of acquiring land, completing projects and implementing programs to benefit upland game bird species, and expanding public hunting opportunities and related public outreach, including, but not limited to, enhancing upland game bird habitat. Any land acquired with funds from the Upland Game Bird Account shall be acquired in fee title or protected with a conservation easement and, to the extent possible, be open or provide access to the public for upland game bird hunting.”
Restoration or enhancement of upland game bird habitats and innovative research that improves the Department’s understanding and management of upland game bird populations and habitats qualify for these funds.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) is soliciting grant proposals from qualified non-profit organizations for funding under the Upland Game Bird Account in Fiscal Year 2016-17.
- Projects not eligible for funding on CDFW owned lands:
- Projects that are considered “capital outlay” projects (new construction or items
- considered to be “infrastructure”) are ineligible for funding under this program.
- For the purposes of this program (a full list of projects of these types can be found in Section 1501.5 of the Fish and Game Code) these projects would most likely include the following:
- Drilling wells and installation of pumping equipment
- Any project requiring engineered design or certification by a registered engineer
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Upland Game Bird Account Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.