California Sea Grant State Fellowship
California Sea Grant
Grant amount: US $45,000
Anticipated deadline: Sep 1, 2018 11:59pm PDT
Applicant type: Graduate Student
Funding uses: Fellowship
Location of project: California
Location of residency: CaliforniaView website Save Need help writing this grant?
California Sea Grant State Fellowship 2018
The California Sea Grant College Program is soliciting applications for the 2018 California State Fellows Program. The State Fellows Program provides a unique educational opportunity for graduate students who are interested both in marine resources and in the policy decisions affecting those resources in California. Modeled after the highly successful Knauss Marine Policy Fellowship Program, the State Fellows Program provides an opportunity to acquire "on the job" experience in the planning, implementation and management of marine and/or coastal resource policies and programs in the state of California. The program matches highly motivated and qualified graduate students and recent graduates with "hosts" in state, federal or municipal agencies in California for a 12-month paid fellowship ($3,792 per month).
Stipend and Expenses
Each fellow will receive $45,500 in stipend for the twelve-month assignment ($3,792/month). Additional funds will be available for health insurance reimbursement ($3,000) and to cover travel for the matching workshop and fellowship related travel ($2,400). Additional travel associated with the fellowship may be covered by the host agency at the agency’s discretion.
Length of Assignment
The length of assignment is 12 months (non-renewable). The fellowship, for this competition, will begin in early winter between January, 2018 through March, 2018, though other schedules may be arranged.
Participating hosts for the 2018 class below (There are 22 fellowship opportunities total.)
- California Coastal Commission* – Climate Change Emphasis
- California Coastal Commission* – Coastal Engineer or Nearshore Oceanographer
- California Department of Parks and Recreation – Natural Resources Division
- California Fish and Game Commission
- California Ocean Protection Council - 2 Fellowships in Climate Change Impacts and Marine Protected Areas/Fisheries Management
- California Ocean Science Trust
- California State Lands Commission
- Delta Science Program – Adaptive Management and Independent Science Board
- Delta Science Program – Science Plan and Science Infrastructure
- Delta Science Program – Water Supply and Science Communication
- Delta Stewardship Council – Planning Division
- Office of Lt. Governor Newsom
- State Coastal Conservancy - Climate Ready Program
- State Coastal Conservancy - South Coast Program
- San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission
- San Francisco Estuary Partnership
- State Water Resources Control Board - Division of Water Quality
- State Water Resources Control Board - Office of Information Management and Anaylsis
- NOAA Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary - Resource Protection
- NOAA NMFS Southwest Fisheries Science Center
- Port of San Diego - 2 Fellowships total in Planning and Green Port (Aquaculture and Blue Technology Program)
*The CA Coastal Commission has two host descriptions but intends to fill only one fellowship opportunity.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applications may be submitted by a graduate student close to completing his/her degree (Masters, Ph.D., or J.D) in a marine or coastal-related field at a California university.
- Graduate students who recently completed their degree at a California university with graduation date [i.e. date diploma awarded by the university] after May 1, 2016 are also eligible to apply.
- Applicants should address their degree of interest and experience in either marine/coastal science and/or public policy or law.
- Fellows must complete all degree requirements before starting the fellowship.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the California Sea Grant State Fellowship by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.