Canon Collins: Scholarships for Postgrad Study in SA
Canon Collins TrustSuggest an update
Grant amount: R20,000 - R100,000
Anticipated deadline: Aug 19, 2020 7:00am PDT
Applicant type: Graduate Student
Funding uses: Scholarship
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe Show all
Location of citizenship: Angola, Botswana, Guatemala, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe Show all
Must travel to: South AfricaView website Save
Canon Collins Trust seeks to support exceptional individuals who are committed to social justice in Southern Africa and for whom a postgraduate qualification is an essential tool in working to create an open and just society.
In 2015 the Trust revised its South African scholarship awards policy. We now offer scholarships only to those studying in three areas:
- Including Law, Economics, Politics and the Environment
- Policy and practice
- Including Literature, History, Anthropology and the Arts
What we offer
In 2020, the value of the scholarship package will range from R20,000 to R100,000 depending on student circumstances. We support both full and part-time study and will consider applications from those who wish to study by distance learning.
We also organise an annual conference for current scholars, and hold several smaller events throughout the year. Scholarship holders are expected to participate in these activities and to become part of and contribute to our network.
Eligible applicants will automatically be considered for these named scholarships:
- Ros Moger and Terry Furlong
- Sol Plaatje Canon Collins Scholarships.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- to be considered for a scholarship under this programme you must:
- be a national of, or have refugee status in, one of the following countries: Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- be normally resident in one of the above countries
- be in possession of a good first degree (minimum second class, upper division or equivalent) or about to graduate in the year of application
- be studying or applying to study at a South African university
- We will favor applicants who most clearly demonstrate that their proposed course and future plans align with the Trust’s priorities.
- We favor applications where there is a demonstrable continuity between applicant’s past study and career and their proposed course of study.
- Applications for courses that are not within these areas (for example MBAs, medical sciences, sports sciences, applied sciences) will be rejected.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Canon Collins: Scholarships for Postgrad Study in SA by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.