CPF ecoTech Grants
Captain Planet Foundation
Grant amount: Up to US $2,500
Next deadline: Jan 15, 2019
Later deadlines: Jul 15, 2019
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Captain Planet Foundation
Captain Planet Foundation grants are intended to:
- Empower youth by providing hands-on environmental stewardship opportunities
- Inspire youth and communities to become agents of change for their environment
- Serve as a catalyst for education that uses the environment as a context for applied and STEM learning
ecoTech Grants were created to combat the notion that students needed to choose between “the screen” or “the green” and to encourage educators and students to explore the role technology can play in designing and implementing solutions to some of our most pressing environmental challenges. We believe that technology can present innovative ways to address environmental challenges – and that when dealing with digital natives, we do ourselves a disservice by asking them to unplug.
Originally developed in partnership with the Ray C. Anderson Foundation and with ongoing support from Voya Financial, ecoTech Grants are specifically offered to engage children in inquiry-based, STEM-related projects that leverage technology and/or use nature-based design to address environmental problems in local communities.
Examples of previous ecoTech Grant funded projects have involved: the integration of robotics and sensors to explore water bodies, collect data, and organize clean-ups; the development of aquaponic and hydroponic systems using arduinos and remote sensing; renewable energy design challenges; biotechnology research; nature-based design applications; and many others.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applicant organizations eligible for monetary support through Captain Planet Foundation must:
- Be based in the United States.
- Be exempt from federal taxation under the IRS Section 501 (includes most schools and nonprofit organizations), or have a fiscal sponsor that meets this criterion.
- Maintain an annual operating budget of less than $3 million
- Projects must:
- Be based in the U.S.
- Integrate the use of technology to address environmental problem (not iPads or other tablets)
- Be project-based
- Be youth-led
- Result in real, demonstrable environmental outcomes
- This does not include simply adding iPads, tablets, or other smart devices
to a project
- Funds may not be used for:
- Capital or building campaigns, purchase of real estate, or endowments
- General operating expenses
- Salary or contract services
- Beautification or landscaping projects
- Travel costs or field trips that are not an essential part of the proposed project (if included, identify the purpose of the field trip under “project activities”)
- Expensive equipment that can only be used once or by a few
- Promotional items such as t-shirts, flyers, postcards, etc.
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the CPF ecoTech Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.