CHEJ Small Grants Program
Center for Health, Environment & JusticeSuggest an update
Grant amount: US $1,000 - US $20,000
Next deadline: May 6, 2020
Later deadlines: Sep 6, 2020
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Training / Capacity Building, Project / Program, Conference, Education / Outreach, General Operating Expense
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
The Center for Health, Environment & Justice helps build healthy communities nationwide. Since its founding in 1981, CHEJ has grown into the nation’s leading resource for grassroots environmental activism, a ground-breaking, progressive organization with a vision for clean, green neighborhoods built from hard-won experience fighting for environmental justice.
CHEJ Small Grants
The Center for Health, Environment & Justice (CHEJ) has a Small Grants Program for grassroots groups working on environmental health and justice issues. We would greatly appreciate your help in sending this announcement to grassroots groups in your network. If you are a grassroots group or working directly with a grassroots’ group, please consider submitting an application.
Grassroots communities of color, low wealth, rural and urban groups are encouraged to apply. This grant program will support projects that help groups move toward their goals by building leadership, increasing capacity and/or providing training and education. A priority of CHEJ’s Small Grants Program is to help grassroots community groups to build their capacity. The program is designed to especially reach people from low wealth communities and communities of color who are impacted by environmental harms.
Grant activities can include board development, membership outreach, and fundraising efforts. Project activities could also include meetings to develop an organizing/strategic plan, training leaders to go door-to-door, events, educational activities which are directly connected to your strategic plan, or general events. It is recommended that project activities be creative, effective and strategic.
This year we are excited to announce that our small grants program has grown and can now support the work of small and larger grassroots community-based organizations, which are working on environment, health and justice issues.
The grant application is different for different sized organizations.
- Small organizations and all volunteer groups with budgets under $50,000
- Grants are available in this tier range from $1,000 to $5,000.
- For organizations with budgets no greater than $250,000
- This tier of the program will provide support from $5,000 to $10,000.
- Larger organizations with budgets over $250,000
- This tier of the program will support projects with grants from $10,000 to $20,000.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- If you are a grassroots group or working directly with a grassroots’ group, please consider submitting an application.
- Grants support small and large grassroots community-based organizations, which are working on environment, health, and justice issues.
- If you are a grassroots group, but are not incorporated and do not have a bank account, you will need to find an organization that can accept the funds for your group, such as a faith-based organization or other non-profit who will serve as your “fiscal sponsor.”
- CHEJ prioritizes community-based organizations aiming to have local, state and regional impact as the core of the health and environmental justice movement.
- Although we believe that many efforts in the field are valuable in creating change, our resources are limited.
- Projects such as film production, community gardens, legal assistance, market campaigns, natural environment protections and food banks are not likely to be supported.
- Projects we are not likely to fund:
- Film Production
- Community Gardens
- National Organizations
- Legal Assistance
- Market Campaigns
- Natural Environmental Protections
- Food Banks
- Organization Outside of the United States
- National Campaigns, (except local/statewide group specific efforts may fit into a campaign)
- We no longer can fund environmental testing
- Groups with annual budget over one million dollars
- Legislative lobbying
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the CHEJ Small Grants Program by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.