CHEJ Small Grants Program
Center for Health, Environment & Justice
Grant amount: US $1,000 - US $20,000
Anticipated deadline: Aug 3, 2019
Applicant type: Nonprofit College / University
Funding uses: Conference, Education / Outreach, General Operating Expense
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
The Center for Health, Environment & Justice helps build healthy communities nationwide. Since its founding in 1981, CHEJ has grown into the nation’s leading resource for grassroots environmental activism, a ground-breaking, progressive organization with a vision for clean, green neighborhoods built from hard-won experience fighting for environmental justice.
CHEJ Small Grants
CHEJ’s Small Grants Program helps grassroots, community organizing groups build their capacity. The program is designed to especially reach people from low-wealth communities and communities of color who are impacted by environmental harms.
Grant activities can include board development, membership outreach, and fundraising efforts. Project activities could also include meetings to develop an organizing strategic plan, training events, educational activities which are directly connected to your strategic plan, or membership recruitment. It is recommended that project activities be creative, effective and/or strategic. CHEJ believes that no social change on behalf of the exploited comes without strong community-based organizations.
This year, we are excited to announce that our small grants program has grown and can now support the work of both small and large grassroots community-based organizations, which are working on environment, health and justice issues.
This small grants program is focused on:
- Improving the environmental health outcomes for grassroots communities and laying the groundwork to establish environmental health organizing as a priority.
- To this end, we are looking for proposals/projects that train and assist local people to work toward attaining justice, to become empowered to protect their communities from environmental threats and build strong locally controlled organizations. For example:
- Skill-building sessions that cover such topics as developing organizational structure, building broad based coalitions, raising money, working with the media, strategic planning, motivating volunteers.
- Events that facilitate networking and coalition building on a regional or statewide scale.
- Workshops to educate communities about specific local polluting facilities or proposed facilities and develop strategies for reducing or eliminating the environmental threat.
- Testing, such as drinking water and air, or studies such as a health survey, but only if connected to a strategic approach to build a stronger organization, move a decision maker or other goals.
- A limited number of general support grants will be supported for organizations with budgets under $250,000.
- Tier 1: Small organizations and all volunteer groups with budgets under $50,000.
- Grants are available in this tier range from $1,000 to $5,000.
- Tier 2: For organizations with budgets no greater than $250,000.
- This tier of the program will provide support from $5,000 to $10,000.
- Tier 3: Larger organizations with budgets over $250,000.
- This tier of the program will support projects with grants from $10,000 to $20,000.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Grants support small and large grassroots community-based organizations, which are working on environment, health, and justice issues.
- CHEJ prioritizes community-based organizations aiming to have local, state and regional impact as the core of the health and environmental justice movement.
- We unfortunately cannot support proposals/projects that fall in any of the categories below.
- National organizations
- Organizations outside of the United States
- National campaigns, except local/statewide group-specific efforts that may fit in to such a campaign.
- Legal work or lobbying
- General support for organizations with budgets over $250,000.
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the CHEJ Small Grants Program by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.