Colorado Forest Legacy Program
Colorado State Forest Service
Grant amount: Unspecified amount
Anticipated deadline: Aug 31, 2019 3:00pm PDT
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Applied Project / Program
Location of project: Colorado
Location of residency: ColoradoView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Colorado State Forest Service (CSFS)
The Colorado State Forest Service (CSFS) is accepting Forest Legacy Program (FLP) proposals from Colorado landowners. The program authorizes the CSFS or USDA Forest Service to purchase permanent conservation easements on private forestlands to prevent those lands from being converted to non-forest uses.
Forest Legacy Program (FLP)
The Forest Legacy Program (FLP) is a federally funded and state-administered program that supports efforts to protect private forest lands that are environmentally, economically and socially critical. The program helps prevent fragmentation of our forests and preserves natural vistas for all to enjoy.
The Colorado Forest Legacy Program is a partnership between Colorado and the USDA Forest Service to identify and help conserve environmentally important forests from conversion to non-forest uses.
To maximize the public benefits it achieves, the program focuses on the acquisition of partial interests in privately owned forest lands (conservation easements).
It encourages and supports acquisition of conservation easements (legally binding agreements that transfer a negotiated set of property rights from one party to another) without removing the property from private ownership. Most FLP conservation easements restrict development, require sustainable forestry practices and protect other values.
It is recognized that Colorado has an extensive network of well-qualified land trusts and other non-governmental land conservation organizations. The Colorado Forest Legacy Program intends to support the efforts of this existing land conservation community. Since the CSFS is the lead agency for the Colorado Forest Legacy Program, all easements secured with the help of Forest Legacy funds will be held by the State of Colorado. The CSFS believes the program offers an important opportunity for land conservation groups to access federal funding to protect valuable private forestlands.
The purpose of the Forest Legacy Program is to protect environmentally important private forest areas that are threatened by conversion to non-forest uses. Specifically, the FLP in Colorado will emphasize:
- Reduction of forested land fragmentation as a result of development pressures, subdivision, and increasing housing density.
- Protection of water quality and production amounts.
- Protection of significant wildlife habitat.
- Protection of economically significant timber forest products through positive forest stewardship programs.
- Protection of significant riparian communities.
- Maintaining continuity of forested lands adjacent to protected lands.
- Protection of unique ecological areas.
- Reduction of risk and occurrence of wildfires especially in developed areas or ecologically sensitive areas.
- Protection of private property owner’s rights.
- Protection of lifestyle for property owners.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- The Forest Legacy Program (FLP) authorizes the USDA Forest Service or state governments to purchase permanent conservation easements on private forest lands to prevent those lands from being converted to non-forest uses.
- The program provides an opportunity for private landowners to retain ownership and management of their land, while receiving compensation for unrealized development rights.
- Those landowners who choose to participate in the program are required to follow a stewardship plan designed for their forest.
- Activities consistent with the management plan, including timber harvesting, grazing, and recreation activities, are permitted.
- The Federal government may fund up to 75 percent of program costs, with at least 25 percent coming from private, state or local sources.
- The forest lands that contain important scenic, cultural, recreation resources, fish and wildlife habitats, water resources, and other ecological values that will support continued traditional forest uses receive priority.
- Applications for lands held in public ownership do not qualify under the Forest Legacy Program.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Colorado Forest Legacy Program by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.