COVID-19 Informed Communities Grant
Colorado Media ProjectSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $5,000
Fields of work: News Media & Communications
Applicant type: Organizations
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Project / Program
Location of project: Colorado
Location of residency: ColoradoView website Save
NOTE: The first application deadline is April 24; grants will be reviewed on a rolling basis thereafter, to distribute any remaining funds.
CMP Offers Grants to Reach Diverse Populations with COVID-19 News and Resources
Colorado’s ethnic, non-English-language, and rural media outlets and trusted community organizations are invited to apply for grants of up to $5,000 each, to help ensure that the state’s diverse racial/ethnic communities, immigrant and refugee populations, and low-income rural communities are receiving accurate, localized, and actionable information on the continuously evolving COVID-19 public health and economic crises.
Colorado Media Project (CMP) has committed $50,000 to establish the COVID-19 Informed Communities Fund at Rose Community Foundation, and is inviting other foundations to join. Priorities include:
- Ensuring a robust stream of COVID-19 news and updates are available in multiple languages and distributed widely among non-English-speaking newsrooms and trusted community partners
- Supporting collaborative reporting and story sharing efforts initiated by the Colorado News Collaborative’s new COVID-19 Coverage Network, which now involves more than 40 newsrooms statewide in sharing daily coverage and in-depth reporting from the front lines.
- Providing advice, coaching, and assistance for small media businesses navigating applications for public support and philanthropic grants, and individual donor appeals.
CMP will also accept applications from community groups that have a wide digital reach into underrepresented communities, to join as distribution partners for COVID-19 news and updates, provide translation services, and/or develop new, trustworthy channels to reach underrepresented audiences with COVID-19 updates. At least $30,000 from the COVID-19 Informed Communities Fund is dedicated to encouraging diverse participation in the Colorado News Collaborative.
CMP support is intended to facilitate two-way sharing, translating, and distributing stories among outlets to reach all audiences with a broader range of COVID-19 coverage.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- To be eligible for support, organizations must be:
- Serve a specific and underrepresented audience or geographic area.
- Have the ability to actively reach and engage with that audience to share timely updates on the unfolding COVID-19 public health and economic crises.
- Preference will be given to independent local news outlets that serve specific racial/ethnic, non-English speaking, and/or economically disadvantaged populations, to underwrite their active participation in the Colorado News Collaborative's COVID-19 Coverage Network.