Commercialization Initiation Grant Program
MJ Murdock Charitable TrustSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $60,000
Deadline: Jun 1, 2020
Applicant type: College / University
Funding uses: Research
Location of project: Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington
Location of residency: Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, WashingtonView website Save Need help writing this grant?
This program is intended to support the commercialization of bench discoveries at a select group of major research universities in the five states typically funded by the M. J. Murdock Charitable Trust, and translating the discoveries to the market. It is not designed to enable investigators to generate data for their next major research grant application, instead the Trust is looking at supporting projects that creates an inflection point for commercialization.
The ideal time for submitting a proposal is when the science is solid and a feasible business plan is at hand. The goal of this program is to support the project early in the commercialization life cycle in order to enable the PI or inventor to reduce the science discovery into practice, secure IP and ownership, obtain proof of commercialization concept, and position the development toward the next round of funding.
The PI or inventor may request up to $60,000 from the Trust and the university is required to match at least an equal amount. The Trust has no equity interest in the intellectual property or commercialization of the invention. Submission of a proposal to this program from the university, however, is predicated on the expectation that the university has thoroughly vetted the scientific, technical, and commercialization merits of the proposal.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Only applications from a select group of major research universities by the Murdock Trust will be considered.
- Only the institution’s highest priority project from the natural sciences, medicine, and engineering will be considered.
- Only one proposal can be submitted for consideration by the Trust in a calendar year beginning.
- The proposals can come from departments within the natural sciences, engineering, or medicine.
- The Trust does not accept grant requests from individual researchers unless the institution endorses that request as its priority to the Trust. The authority to provide this endorsement lies with the Chief Executive Officer of the institution or may be delegated to a Chief Academic or Research Officer.
- Requests for games and software applications will not be considered.
- Applications from individuals will not be considered.
- A request for salary for a faculty member is not allowed.
- Publication costs and indirect costs are not allowed, and should not appear anywhere in the budget.
- Murdock support will not be provided toward indirect project costs.
- Murdock monies may
not be requested for construction renovation costs. Secretarial assistance, telephone, and
routine office supplies are also not allowed.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Commercialization Initiation Grant Program by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.