CCAMLR Scientific Scholarship Scheme
Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources
Grant amount: Up to A $30,000
Anticipated deadline: Oct 1, 2018
Applicant type: Unaffiliated Researcher Graduate Student Faculty Postdoctoral Researcher
Funding uses: Conference, Research
Membership: Applicants must be a member of this organization to apply. Become a member.
Location of project: Antarctica
Location of residency: Anywhere in the worldView website Save Need help writing this grant?
In 2010 CCAMLR established the CCAMLR Scientific Scholarship Scheme to assist early career scientists to participate in the work of the Scientific Committee and its working groups.
The objective of the Scholarship Scheme is to contribute to capacity building within the CCAMLR scientific community in order to help generate and sustain a sound basis of scientific expertise able to support the requirements of CCAMLR in the long-term.
To help guide potential Scholarship applicants the Conveners of the Scientific Committee’s expert working groups have put together the following list of priority areas of research:
- Research into krill population dynamics and ecosystem monitoring to support the development of Feedback Management in the krill fishery.
- The use of fishing vessels to collect acoustics data on the abundance and distribution of krill.
- Science to support the development of approaches to spatial management including marine protected areas.
- Integrated stock assessments for fisheries in areas without such assessments.
- Methods for toothfish biomass estimation and stock assessment where mark- recapture programs are not feasible.
- Models to assess the spatial overlap of longline fisheries and the distribution of tagged fish.
- The impacts of depredation by toothed whales on the assessments in toothfish fisheries.
- Analysis and development of models to evaluate management strategies related to Article II of the CCAMLR Convention and CCAMLR's harvest decision rules.
Scholarships of up to A$30 000 are available to facilitate participation in CCAMLR Scientific Committee workshops or working group meetings, relevant preparatory meetings, and exceptionally, meetings of the Scientific Committee, over a period of two years.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Scholarships are open to scientists from all CCAMLR Members.
- Scholarships are available to facilitate participation in CCAMLR Scientific Committee workshops or working group meetings, relevant preparatory meetings, and exceptionally, meetings of the Scientific Committee, over a period of two years.
- Each application to the Scholarship Scheme must have the support of the Scientific Committee representative of the relevant CCAMLR Member, so if you are thinking of applying then getting in touch with your Scientific Committee representative is an essential first step.
You must be a member of this organization to apply for this award - become a member.
- Preference will be given to early career scientists who have not previously, or routinely, participated in CCAMLR working groups and are actively seeking to contribute to important areas of science for CCAMLR.
- For the purposes of the CCAMLR Scholarship Scheme an early career scientist is defined as a scientist who is actively engaged in relevant PhD research, or has received their PhD in the last 5 years.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the CCAMLR Scientific Scholarship Scheme by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.