Commonwealth Professional Fellowships
Commonwealth Scholarship Commission
Grant amount: Up to £3,000
Anticipated deadline: Mar 13, 2018
Applicant type: Government Entity Nonprofit For-Profit Business College / University Museum/Library/Zoo
Funding uses: Fellowship
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: United KingdomView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Commonwealth Professional Fellowships support mid-career professionals from developing countries to spend a period of time at a UK host organisation working in their field for a programme of professional development.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- To apply for these fellowships, organisations must:
- Be based in the UK
- Have set up a programme of activities for the fellowship
- Have identified a Fellow/Fellows who they wish to nominate, through existing networks or wider advertising
- Be able to demonstrate the capacity to set up and manage the fellowship(s) on a day-to-day basis
- To be eligible for these fellowships,candidates must:
- Be a citizen of a developing Commonwealth country, refugee, or British protected person
- Be permanently resident in a developing Commonwealth country
- Have normally at least five years’ relevant work experience in a profession related to the subject of the application, by the proposed start of the fellowship
- Be available to start their fellowship within prescribed dates as stated on the CSC website
- Not have undertaken a Commonwealth Professional Fellowship in the last five years
- Not be seeking to undertake an academic programme of research or study in the UK.
- Academics are eligible to apply for the scheme, but only to undertake programmes of academic management, not research or courses relevant to their research subject
- The CSC promotes equal opportunity, gender equity, and cultural exchange. Applications are encouraged from a diverse range of candidates.
- Applications for Commonwealth Professional Fellowships must adhere to the following rules:
- Fellowships should normally be between one and three months in length.
- Applications for longer periods (up to a maximum of six months) will be considered, but only when a strong case for the additional time has been made.
- Applications should include a clear programme of professional experience and exchange for mid-career professionals.
- Visits to, and periods of experience with, relevant UK organisations are particularly encouraged.
- Attendance at short courses or conferences during the fellowship is acceptable, providing that this can be justified within the selection criteria and that attendance is not the main focus of the fellowship.
- Fellowships should be UK-based for their full duration.
- Organisations can apply to host/nominate up to ten Fellows in one year, with no more than six in any round.
- Candidates who have previously taken a leave of absence to study or work abroad in a developed country should make an additional case for why they should be considered for a fellowship in the UK and make clear what they have gained from their previous experience.
- The CSC is keen to encourage creative and flexible applications for Commonwealth Professional Fellowships from a wide range of sectors – professional, charitable, public, and private.
- Priority will be given to applications with practical relevance in the following broadly-defined areas:
- Agriculture / fisheries / forestry
- Economic growth
- Engineering / science / technology
- Public health
- The CSC does not accept direct applications from candidates and cannot provide a list of UK organisations that are willing to host Fellows.
- Applications will not be considered from candidates who are:
- undertaking a course of full-time study at the time of application;
- seeking assistance towards the cost of commencing or completing a formal academic or professional qualification; or
- wishing to undertake an academic programme or research of any kind in the UK.
- Applications presenting an academic research proposal or plan will be considered ineligible.
- Fellowships should be long enough to enable the serious development of professional skills, so the CSC will not consider applications for fellowships with a duration of less than one month.
- If your application does not include two references – one from your current employer – it will be considered ineligible.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Commonwealth Professional Fellowships by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.