Commonwealth PhD Scholarships
Commonwealth Scholarship Commission
Grant amount: Approximately £60,000
Anticipated deadline: Feb 22, 2019
Applicant type: PhD Student
Funding uses: Scholarship
Location of project: United Kingdom
Location of residency: Antigua and Barbuda; Bangladesh; Belize; Botswana; Cameroon; Dominica; Fiji; Ghana; Grenada; Guyana; India; Jamaica; Kenya; Kiribati; Lesotho; Malawi; Malaysia; Mauritius; Montserrat; Mozambique; Namibia; Nauru; Nigeria; Pakistan; Papua New Guinea; Pitcairn; Rwanda; Saint Helena; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent And The Grenadines; Samoa; Seychelles; Sierra Leone; Solomon Islands; South Africa; Sri Lanka; Swaziland; Tanzania, United Republic of; Tonga; Tuvalu; Uganda; Vanuatu; Zambia Expand all
Location of citizenship: Antigua and Barbuda; Bangladesh; Belize; Botswana; Cameroon; Dominica; Fiji; Ghana; Grenada; Guyana; India; Jamaica; Kenya; Kiribati; Lesotho; Malawi; Malaysia; Mauritius; Montserrat; Mozambique; Namibia; Nauru; Nigeria; Pakistan; Papua New Guinea; Pitcairn; Rwanda; Saint Helena; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent And The Grenadines; Samoa; Seychelles; Sierra Leone; Solomon Islands; South Africa; Sri Lanka; Swaziland; Tanzania, United Republic of; Tonga; Tuvalu; Uganda; Vanuatu; Zambia Expand allView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Each year, the CSC invites selected nominating bodies to submit a specific number of nominations. The deadline for nominating bodies to submit nominations to the CSC is the deadline above.
You must apply to one of the following nominating bodies in the first instance – the CSC does not accept direct applications for these scholarships:
- National nominating agencies – this is the main route of application
- Selected universities/university bodies, which can nominate their own academic staff
- Selected non-governmental organisations and charitable bodies
All applications must be made through one of these nominating bodies. Each nominating body is responsible for its own selection process. You must check with your nominating body for their specific advice and rules for applying, their own eligibility criteria, and their own closing date for applications.
Commonwealth PhD Scholarships are for candidates from low and middle income Commonwealth countries, for full-time doctoral study at a UK university.
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- You should apply to study at a UK university which has a part funding agreement with the CSC.
- View a full list of UK universities with part funding agreements
- You may propose to study at one university for a four-year PhD, but this must be based in a recognised Doctoral Training Centre.
- You must research this option thoroughly (further details can be found on the websites of the individual UK research councils) and justify its added value compared with a three-year PhD.
- As the CSC will fund only a limited number of four-year PhDs, if you do choose this option, you are strongly advised to also propose at least one three-year PhD choice.
- To apply for these scholarships, you must:
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
- Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country
- Be available to start your academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September/October 2018
- By October 2018, hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) honours standard, or a second class degree and a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree)
- NOT be registered for a PhD, or an MPhil leading to a PhD, at a UK university before September/October 2018
- Be unable to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship
- The CSC’s selection criteria give priority to applications that demonstrate the strongest relevance to development.
- Funding will not be extended to enable candidates to complete a qualification in addition to or higher than that for which the selection was made.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.