Community Grants Program
The Miami Foundation
Grant amount: US $5,000 - US $30,000
Next anticipated deadline: Feb 15, 2019 1:00pm PST (Pre proposal)
Later anticipated deadlines: Apr 12, 2019 1:00pm PDT (Full proposal)
Applicant type: Nonprofit Government Entity Indigenous Group
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Applied Project / Program, Capital Project
Location of project: Miami-Dade County, Florida
Location of residency: Preferred: Miami-Dade County, Florida Other eligible locations: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Community Grants is The Miami Foundation’s signature program through which we honor more than 100 donors who created permanently endowed funds, entrusting the Foundation to support the issues that mattered to them, forever. Thanks to their generosity the Foundation awards more than $1 million each year through the program.
The Foundation marked its 50th anniversary in 2017 and identified three key themes that defined its past work and will guide its future: Opportunity, Creativity and Resiliency. The themes speak to the quality of life the Foundation strives to make a reality in Greater Miami. The funds available through the Community Grants Program have been aligned with these areas. Opportunity and Creativity include issues that have long been a part of Community Grants. Resiliency has been added through gifts from new donors and based on current Foundation priorities. The Foundation continues to use its biennial Our Miami Report to track our community’s progress and enable stakeholders to use this valuable data to inform their work.
Below are summaries of the three themes and the related issues covered by each one. Review them carefully and decide what your organization is best positioned to advance in Greater Miami with Foundation support.
Opportunity | $880,000 Total
Greater Miami continues to surge forward as a rapidly growing, global city. As our city prospers, we must develop pathways to opportunity so all residents can benefit equitably and thrive. Opportunity grants will focus on enabling residents who face greater barriers to success to develop their abilities and talents and use them to overcome hardships, achieve their potential and aspirations. There are three Opportunity categories. Nonprofits will select which category their proposal will address. Within a category, a proposal can reflect any of the elements described.
- Well-being of Children and Youth | $570,000 - Enable at-risk, abused or neglected youth to advance their personal development and resiliency; physical health; educational readiness and achievement from cradle-to-career; or ensure their safety at home and in the community
- Affordability and Housing | $210,000 - Enable households to gain financial stability and increase their earning potential; to prevent homelessness; provide safety-net basic needs (shelter, food and clothing); or expand affordable housing options in the community
- Healthy Lifestyles | $100,000 - Promote adoption of healthy behaviors that support heart health and prevent heart disease among residents of all ages
Resiliency | $200,000 Total
Our community must have the ability to adapt well to change, plan for threats and recover from adversity. Resiliency grants will focus on addressing challenges to our physical environment amid rapid growth, and also increasing civic involvement on social, economic and physical challenges that impact our community’s strength. The Foundation seeks efforts to achieve either of the following:
- Broaden public education on sustaining our environment, sea-level rise adaptation, or transportation options
- Foster civic engagement and action on critical social, economic or physical challenges we face
Creativity | $100,000 Total
Greater Miami is booming with arts and culture offerings that are shaping our identity and vitality. The Foundation will focus its Creativity grants on harnessing the power of arts and culture to build community. The Foundation is looking for efforts that use arts and culture to achieve any of the following:
- Revive community life or business activity in dormant areas of our city and its neighborhoods
- Engage people, who typically lack access, in experiencing the arts or developing their own artistic abilities
- Raise the profile of less visible cultures and social issues
- Foster connections and exchange among residents from diverse cultures and walks of life
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Eligible applicants include nonprofits with 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status or projects with an established fiscal agent serving Miami-Dade County.
- While we will give preference to strengthening nonprofits based in Greater Miami, we also encourage partnerships with those outside Greater Miami to bring high-quality programs to our community.
- Current grantees must be in compliance with the terms of those awards to be considered.
- Funds may be used for costs directly related to implementing a program, such as salaries of program staff or consultants, outreach, marketing, supplies, events or local travel.
- Priority will be given to proposals that demonstrate the strongest potential to achieve improvement in the lives of our residents and community, regardless of the theme or sub-issue they address. We will place the greatest value on:
- Progress: What and how much measurable improvement will result for people and communities reached, so they are not only better off now, but better prepared to succeed in the future.
- Innovation: We don’t mean a new program. We mean how well the organization is using past and new knowledge to improve its approach to achieve better results.
- Collaboration: How well the organization is leveraging its relationships to effectively and efficiently reach and serve those it seeks to benefit.
- Funds cannot pay for memberships, fundraising events or campaigns, endowments, memorials or reducing deficits.
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Community Grants Program by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.