Community Action Grants - Washington, DC Metropolitan Area
Gannett FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: US $5,000 - US $10,000
Next deadline: Feb 28, 2019
Later deadlines: Aug 29, 2019
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, General Operating Expense, Applied Project / Program
Location of project: District of Columbia, Counties in Maryland: Montgomery County, Prince George's County, Counties in Virginia: Alexandria city, Arlington County, Fairfax County, Falls Church city, Loudoun County, Prince William County Expand all
Location of residency: District of Columbia, Counties in Maryland: Montgomery County, Prince George's County, Counties in Virginia: Alexandria city, Arlington County, Fairfax County, Falls Church city, Loudoun County, Prince William County Expand allView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
The Gannett Foundation is a corporate foundation sponsored by Gannett Co., Inc. Through its Community Grant Program, Gannett Foundation supports nonprofit activities in the communities in which Gannett does business.
Our priorities for the Washington metropolitan area:
- Grass-roots educational programs (i.e., after school tutorial programs)
- At-risk youth programs
- Services for special populations (i.e., homeless children, families in crisis, poor/ill elderly)
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- We must make all grants to IRS code §501(c)(3) public charities.
- Our service areas are:
- District of Columbia
- Maryland – Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties
- Virginia – Alexandria, Falls Church, and counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Prince William, and Loudoun.
- We prefer program support over general support, especially for organizations with operating budgets of $1 million or more.
- As a rule, we generally do not consider Community Action Grants for:
- arts organizations or arts-related education projects
- capital campaigns
- colleges or universities
- events, conferences, seminars, debates, competitions, fundraising events or similar short-term projects
- hospital-based programs
- public policy or social research organizations
- salary support
- organizations funded by the Gannett Foundation in the previous year
- HIV/AIDS prevention and service organizations, because we support the Washington Community AIDS Partnership.
- What Community Action Grants do not fund: Like many donors, we receive many more requests than we can fund. As a result, grants will not be considered for the following purposes:
- private foundations
- organizations not determined by the IRS to be a tax-exempt public charity under §501(c)(3)
- organizations classified by the IRS as 509(a)(3)
- national or regional organizations unless their programs address specific local community needs
- programs or initiatives where the primary purpose is the promotion of religious doctrine or tenets
- elementary or secondary schools (public, private or charter schools)
- political action or legislative advocacy groups
- endowment funds
- multiple-year pledge campaigns
- medical or research organizations, including organizations funding single disease research
- organizations located in or benefiting nations other than the US and its territories
- fraternal groups, athletic teams, bands, volunteer firefighters or similar groups
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Community Action Grants - Washington, DC Metropolitan Area by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.