Congregation Mini Grant
Lutheran Foundation of St. LouisSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $5,000
Applicant type: House of Worship (e.g. a church, temple, mosque, etc)
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Project / Program
Location of project: Jersey County, Illinois, Counties in Missouri: Franklin County, Jefferson County, Lincoln County, Madison County, Monroe County, St. Charles County, St. Clair County, St. Louis County, St. Louis city, Warren County Show all
Location of residency: Jersey County, Illinois, Counties in Missouri: Franklin County, Jefferson County, Lincoln County, Madison County, Monroe County, St. Charles County, St. Clair County, St. Louis County, St. Louis city, Warren County Show allView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
Congregation Mini Grant Program
Lutheran Foundation recognizes that each congregation is at a different place when it comes to their social service outreach ministries. Some congregations want to “test drive” an idea before developing a full project/effort. For this reason, the Foundation created the Congregation Mini Grants program. The purpose is two-fold:
- to provide funding to congregations to pilot an idea for a new social service outreach ministry, and
- to provide free coaching support in further refining and implementing an idea.
Examples of Possible Ministry Projects
- Health screenings
- Substance abuse services
- English as a second language
- Citizenship classes
- After-school mentoring/tutoring
- Job training for ex-offenders
- Food pantry/clothing closet
- Health fairs
- Fitness/healthy living programs
- Services for pregnant and teen moms
- Meals on wheels
- Adult mentoring
- Outreach to the homeless (food, shelter, clothing )
- Recreation activities for underserved youth
- Social activities for seniors
- Exercise programs for seniors
- Community computer room/classes
- Community revitalization
Congregations should know what they want to do and have an idea of how to get started. If you are not at this point, coaching services to assist your congregation are offered through Lutheran Foundation’s relationship with Send Me St. Louis. Services include coaching and guidance on:
- mapping the congregation’s and community’s assets,
- researching opportunities for social service outreach ministry, and/or
- planning for a social service outreach ministry.
There are no grant deadlines for the Congregation Mini Grants. Application can be made at any time of the year.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Any Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS) congregation in the St. Louis area can apply for a Congregation Mini Grant.
- The geographic area supported by the Foundation is identified in our Core Values.
- A church can only have one active Congregation Mini Grant at a time.
- Congregation Mini Grants are designed to help congregations pilot new social service outreach ministry projects.
- At least 50 percent of program participants/service recipients should be non-members of the congregation.
- Preference will be given to efforts that serve people in underserved communities.
- Creativity in developing proposals for novel or experimental approaches to social service outreach ministry is encouraged, even if this means the prospects for a “successful” program are less certain.
- Mini Grants are not to be used to expand existing activities.
- In general, requests for capital improvements will not be considered.
- Examples of Ineligible Funding Requests:
- Vacation Bible School
- Sunday school activities
- Confirmation classes
- Youth groups
- Bible studies, unless it is a component of a larger outreach effort
- Homebound visits for Word and Sacrament
- Evangelism programs
- Capital repairs/church renovations
- School ministries
- In general, Lutheran Foundation does not provide funds to purchase food for a food pantry or assist in paying for clients' housing or utility bills.
- Further, the Foundation typically does not fund the purchase of building supplies/equipment, unless supplies/equipment are needed to help launch/carry out the program.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Congregation Mini Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.