DAAD North America: Research Grants – Doctoral Programmes in Germany
German Academic Exchange Service (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst - DAAD)
Grant amount: €750 - €12,000
Anticipated deadline: Nov 4, 2018 3:00pm PST
Applicant type: PhD Student
Funding uses: Research
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Canada, United States
Must travel to: Germany
Degree requirements: Applicants must be within 3 years of starting their degreeView website Save Need help writing this grant?
DAAD research grants provide young foreign academics and scientists with an opportunity to carry out research and continue their education in Germany. There are funding programmes for various qualification phases and stages in a career. The grants also promote the exchange of experience and networking amongst colleagues.
The aim of this grant programme is to support doctoral projects in Germany.
Duration of the funding
Usually a maximum of three years, in exceptional cases up to four years; the length of the grant is decided by a selection committee and depends on the project in question and the applicant's work schedule.
Grants are initially awarded for a maximum of one year. Extensions depend on whether the selection committee considers the previous award period to have been successfully completed.
For doctoral projects in Germany that require several years of research, research phases outside Germany can be supported if these are critical for the successful completion of the doctoral degree. Planned stays must be specified in the application in the work and time schedule and should not exceed a quarter of the anticipated total funding period.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- If you are not a citizen of the United States or Canada, you must have obtained your last degree in the US/Canada.
- Excellently-qualified young academics and scientists who have completed a Master's degree or Diplom, or in exceptional cases a Bachelor's degree at the latest by the time they begin their grant-supported research.
- As a rule, applicants should not have graduated any longer than six years before the application deadline.
- If you are already working on a doctoral degree, you should not have started your degree any longer than three years previously.
- What can be funded:
- Doctoral programmes at a state or state-recognised institution of higher education or a non-university research institute in Germany:
- individual projects under the supervision of a university teacher or academic adviser; or
- participation in a structured doctoral study programme
- For applicants from the fields of human medicine, veterinary medicine and dentistry, other regulations are applicable.
- Applicants who have been resident in Germany for longer than 15 months at the application deadline cannot be considered.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the DAAD North America: Research Grants – Doctoral Programmes in Germany by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.