DAAD North America: Research Grants – One-Year Grants
German Academic Exchange Service (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst - DAAD)Suggest an update
Grant amount: €5,950 - €12,000
Anticipated deadline: Nov 4, 2020 2:00pm PST
Applicant type: Postdoctoral Researcher PhD Student
Funding uses: Research
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Canada, United States
Must travel to: Germany
Degree requirements: Applicants must be within 2 years of receiving their PhDView website Save
DAAD One-Year Research Grants (7-12 months)
Research Grants – One-Year Grants aare awarded to highly qualified candidates who have completed a Master's degree or Diploma, or in exceptional cases a Bachelor's degree at the latest by the time they begin their grant supported research.
Duration of Funding
The funding period begins October 1st, 2020. Research grants may range from 7 to 12 months in length. Earlier start dates are not possible.
Terms of Award
- Monthly stipend (varies based on academic level).
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
- One-time research allowance
Under certain circumstances, grant holders may receive the following additional benefits:
- monthly rent subsidy
- monthly allowance for accompanying members of family
To enable grant holders to learn German in preparation for their stay in the country, DAAD offers the following :
- Payment of course fees for the online language course "Deutsch-Uni Online (DUO)" for six months after receipt of the Scholarship Award Letter.
- A very limited number of scholarship recipients may be awarded an additional two-month intensive language course grant.
- This is decided on a case-by-case basis by the independent selection committee and does not require a separate application.
- Allowance for a personally chosen German language course during the grant period.
- Reimbursement of the fees for the TestDaF test taken either in the home country after receipt of the Scholarship Award Letter or in Germany before the end of the funding period.
- As an alternative to the TestDaF for scholarship holders who have taken a language course beforehand: the fee for a DSH examination taken during the scholarship period may be reimbursed.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Who can apply?
- US or Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
- Foreign nationals who live in the US/Canada by the time of application deadline must have gained their last degree in the US/Canada or will be gaining it before the beginning of their funding period.
- All other foreign nationals may need to apply via a different DAAD office.
- Applicants may not have been living in Germany for more than 15 consecutive months by the time of application deadline.
- If you are a German national, you must have been residing in the US/Canada for 6 continuous years at the time of the application deadline. Please call our office to make sure you are eligible.
- Applicants should have completed their last degree no longer than 6 years before the application deadline.
- Which requirements must be met at the time of the application deadline?
- For doctoral students enrolled in a program in the US/Canada: no more than 3 years should have passed since receiving ABD status
- Applicants who have been resident in Germany for longer than 15 months at the application deadline cannot be considered.
- The grant is non-renewable.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the DAAD North America: Research Grants – One-Year Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.