Daniels Fund Grants Program
Daniels FundSuggest an update
Grant amount: Approximately US $60,000
Applicant type: Nonprofit Indigenous Group Government Entity
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, General Operating Expense, Applied Project / Program, Capital Project
Location of project: Colorado, Wyoming
Location of residency: Colorado, WyomingView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
Daniels Fund Grants Program
The Daniels Fund provides grants to support highly effective nonprofit organizations in Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming through the Daniels Fund Grants Program.
Bill Daniels helped a tremendous number of people during his lifetime, and continues to do so in extraordinary ways through the foundation he established. The Daniels Fund honors Bill's direction, and carries forward his legacy of generosity.
Our funding areas and the specific geographic regions we serve were personally defined by Bill Daniels. We focus on supporting programs and organizations that uphold the highest ethical standards and engage in quality work to achieve significant results in the community. Following Bill's personal style, we strive to be compassionate, approachable, and responsive.
The Daniels Fund provides grants to highly effective nonprofit organizations offering programs and services that fit within our eight grant funding areas.
These funding areas were established by our founder and they do not change:
Our Strategy: Support efforts that help older adults remain independent and engaged, and provide funding that ensures quality end-of-life and palliative care options are available.
- In-Home Services:
- Seniors receive the services they need to live independently in their own homes for as long as possible.
- Respite care and navigator services are readily available to support family members caring for their elderly loved ones.
- Community Engagement:
- Seniors enjoy the benefits of remaining physically and mentally active, and participate in meaningful activities that contribute to their sense of purpose.
- End-of-Life/Palliative Care
- Seniors nearing the end of their lives have access to high quality hospice and palliative care.
Our Strategy: Support community-based, multi-sport programs for youth, support amateur sports competitions, and fund programs that benefit accomplished athletes by covering expenses related to their participation in competitive events.
- Youth Sports
- Affordable, community-based, multi-sport activities are available for youth, led by coaches trained to build a positive youth sports culture that promotes confidence, discipline, teamwork, and sportsmanship.
- National and international amateur sports competitions take place in the community. The costs of participation in national or international competitions — such as training and travel expenses — are offset for elite athletes.
Our Strategy: Provide funding for supportive services, family respite care, and equipment that help people with disabilities achieve maximum independence and quality of life.
- Developmental Disabilities
- People with developmental disabilities receive the supportive services they need to achieve the greatest level of independence and quality of life possible. Respite care is readily available to support family members caring for loved ones.
- Physical Disabilities (Equipment)
- People with physical disabilities gain access to life-altering equipment that maximizes their independence and quality of life.
Drug & Alcohol Addiction
Our Strategy: Support programs that reduce drug and alcohol addiction through effective education, and provide funding for effective treatment for those struggling with addiction.
- Prevention (Emphasis on Youth)
- The risks and repercussions associated with drug and alcohol addiction are effectively conveyed to young people, resulting in positive behavioral and perceptional changes.
- Treatment & After-Care Services (Recovery)
- Individuals maintain long-term sobriety by having access to high quality treatment programs and supportive after-care services.
Early Childhood Education
Our Strategy: Ensure children are school-ready by supporting efforts to improve the system of early childhood education.*
- Teacher/Leadership Quality
- Teachers, leaders, and caregivers receive the essential training and support that ensures children in their care are well-prepared for kindergarten.
- Program Quality
- System-level investments improve curriculum, materials, and resources across multiple learning sites.
- Parental Engagement
- Parents and other caregivers are empowered to become "first teachers" by gaining awareness of important developmental milestones and knowledge of effective strategies to ensure children reach them.
* We typically do not provide funding for individual child care centers
Homeless & Disadvantaged
Our Strategy: Support transitional housing for those intent on achieving self-sufficiency without the need for public assistance, and fund emergency services for disadvantaged individuals and families.
- Transitional Housing & Supportive Services
- Individuals and families who are homeless or in danger of becoming homeless break the cycle of poverty and attain economic self-sufficiency by receiving access to transitional housing, comprehensive supportive services, and employment opportunities.
- Emergency Services*
- Individuals and families experiencing the initial stages of homelessness move from crisis toward economic self-sufficiency by receiving overnight shelter and food assistance in a structured manner that encourages both accountability and participation in case management.
* Our investment in this area is limited
K-12 Education Reform
Our Strategy: Support innovative efforts to reform the K-12 education system, resulting in a wider range of high quality school choices and increased student achievement.
- Reform/School Choice
- Achieve systemic education reform by supporting high-performing charter schools and tuition assistance programs (portable vouchers) that broaden quality educational options for families. Competition prompts challenges to the status quo.
- Teacher/Leadership Quality*
- Teachers and school leaders receive innovative training and support to maximize student achievement.
- Parental Engagement
- Parents are better educated in the areas of school quality and choice, and understand how to be effective advocates for their children.
* Emphasis is on charter schools
Our Strategy: Support efforts that help young people develop character, and gain the necessary skills to become productive, engaged citizens grateful to live in a free country.
- Career & Technical Education
- All youth — whether planning to earn a college degree or not — develop clear pathways to meaningful employment through opportunities for career exploration, job shadowing, internships, and apprenticeships.
- Civic Engagement
- Youth actively contribute to bettering their communities as engaged, informed citizens with strong American values.
- Financial Literacy & Free Enterprise
- Youth become active participants in the free enterprise system by developing a strong understanding of economics, business, financial literacy, and entrepreneurship.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Eligibility requirements for a Daniels Fund grant:
- Organizations must provide programs or services in Colorado or Wyoming.
- Programs or projects must align with our donor's intent and fit within the Daniels Fund's funding areas: Aging, Amateur Sports, Disabilities, Drug & Alcohol Addiction, Early Childhood Education, Homeless & Disadvantaged, K-12 Education Reform, and Youth Development.
- Organizations must have a 501(c)(3) status or government equivalent.
- Grant requests must be for a specific program or project, general operating support, or capital campaign.
- In New Mexico, our grantmaking strategy focuses primarily on education-related initiatives. Given the state's unique set of challenges, we maximize our impact by inviting grant requests from nonprofit organizations with a demonstrated ability to improve the education continuum, from cradle to career. Due to our focused strategy, we do not accept unsolicited grant applications for New Mexico.
- In Utah, our grantmaking strategy focuses primarily on collective impact programs that coordinate a shared strategic vision with numerous community partners. Due to our focused strategy, we do not accept unsolicited grant applications for Utah.
- Priorities for Colorado Outside the Front Range:
- Youth programs, especially those that focus on career and technical education, and entrepreneurship
- Facilities that accommodate and encourage community gatherings (such as senior centers, youth centers, recreation centers, and community sports complexes)
- Proven programs that deliver prevention education and/or treatment for those struggling with drug and alcohol addiction
- Initiatives working to achieve community-wide results through a quality collective impact framework
- The Daniels Fund supports select programs with a nationwide focus by invitation only.
- Please note that grants for New Mexico, Utah, or national coverage are by invitation only.
- We do not fund programs that are not aligned with our eight designated funding areas, or regional, local, or community-based programs outside of Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, or Utah.
- In addition, we typically do not fund:
- Arts, cultural, or museum programs (including those teaching and serving youth)
- Candidates for political office
- Debt retirement
- Environmental stewardship programs
- Historic preservation projects
- Individual early child care centers in the Colorado Front Range
- Library programs
- Medical or scientific research
- Mentorship, tutoring, or college prep programs
- Nutrition, health, or obesity programs
- Private schools
- Single sport programs
- Sponsorships, tables, or tickets for special events or fundraising events
- Start-up programs without broad community financial support
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Daniels Fund Grants Program by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.