Defending Basic Freedoms Grant
Herb Block FoundationSuggest an update
Next deadline: Oct 6, 2020 (Letter of inquiry)
Later deadlines: Dec 15, 2020 (Full proposal)
Grant amount: US $5,000 - US $25,000
Fields of work: Government Accountability & Transparency Social Justice / Human Rights
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: General Operating Expense, Project / Program
Location of project: United States
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save
About this funder:
When Herb Block died in October 2001, he left $50 million with instructions to create a foundation to encourage the art of editorial cartooning and to support charitable and educational programs that help promote and support the causes he championed during his 72 years of cartooning. The Foundation is committed to defending basic freedoms, combating all forms of discrimination and prejudice and improving the condition of the poor and underprivileged. In addition, the Foundation seeks to provide educational opportunities through scholarships, and to promote editorial cartooning through continuing research.
Defending Basic Freedoms
This program helps safeguard the basic freedoms guaranteed in our Bill of Rights, to help eliminate all forms of prejudice and discrimination, and to assist government agencies to be more accountable to the public. The Herb Block Foundation will also consider contemporary societal issues that may arise. Grants are available nationwide.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applicants must be nonprofit organizations classified as 501(c)(3) organizations by the Internal Revenue Service.
- Applicants for the Defending Basic Freedoms may be national.
- Grants will not be made for capital or endowment programs, nor for sectarian religious purposes.
- No more than 10% of a grant may go to indirect costs (outside of those for general operating support).
- Grants cannot be used for lobbying or other partisan purposes.