Scholarship for Women Scientists and Technologists Scheme (WOS-B)
Government of India Department of Science & TechnologySuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to ₹1,980,000
Anticipated deadline: The deadline for this grant has passed
Applicant type: Graduate Student Postdoctoral Researcher Unaffiliated Researcher Working Professional
Funding uses: Scholarship, Fellowship
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: India
Location of citizenship: India
Age restriction: Between 27 and 57 years of age
Gender restriction: Female
Degree requirements: Applicants must be within 5 years of receiving their PhD
The Department of Science & Technology (DST), New Delhi has made tremendous efforts in attracting women researchers and scientists towards science and technology by initiating several schemes/fellowship programmes. The DST has pioneered several gender initiatives since the 6th plan. The scholarship scheme viz. ‘Women Scientist Fellowship Scheme’ being implemented by the department since 2003 is specially focused on women scientists who would like to contribute to nation building through lab to land transfer, technology adaptation and scaling of location specific interventions. Women scientists who apply for this scheme are required to develop their own project/proposals for disseminating science and technological solutions addressing issues at the grass roots for societal benefit through search, design, adaptation and demonstration of S&T skills and techniques for enhanced opportunities for income generation, drudgery reduction and capacity building in different occupations at the grass root level.
This page is only about the Scholarship for Research in Basic/Applied Science (WOS-B). Read more about the entire Women Scientists and Technologists Scheme below and on the DST website here.
This WOS-B will provides the following funding for successful applicants:
- Internship mode: 18000/ month for M.Sc. and 25000/month for Ph.D. Candidate
- Project mode: 18,000-35,000/month on the basis of their education and experience
The scheme has the following objectives:
- To bring back the women scientists and technologists in main stream after “break in their career”
- Provide platform and training to women scientists and technologists (those do not have any prior experience in research and project formulation)
- Encourage women scientists and technologists to apply their S&T training towards innovative solutions to address various societal issues.
There are two modes of this scheme:
1. Internship mode: For women scientists/technologists having no previous experience of writing implementing projects, a special one year internship programme has been designed and introduced during 12th plan. During this one year the women scientists/technologists would get attached to a S&T institution and be exposed to the latest techniques/ methodology and choose a suitable need based problem and develop a full proposal. After completion of the internship the detailed proposal would then be presented before a committee for further financial support under the project mode.
2. Project mode: The women scientists/technologists who have a PhD Degree or master’s in science with adequate research experience and are either continuing to work as post Doc’s or have just attained their degrees, they will be considered for existing project based fellowship scheme.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Must be a Indian national living in India.
- Currently not employed on permanent position.
- Whose age is below 57 years at the time of applying.
- The internship stream would be applicable to women scientists/technologists who have Master’s Degree in life sciences/chemical sciences and physical sciences or mathematical sciences or Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering / Technology/ Medicine from a recognized University or equivalent but have no experience in project implementation/R&D experience. PhD holders having a 5 years gap after Ph.D will also need to undergo the internship.
- Women scientists/technologists who have a PhD Degree or master’s in science with adequate research experience and are either continuing to work as post Doc’s or have just attained their degrees will be eligible for project mode.
- The scheme is meant to encourage women candidates, preferably those having a break in career and not having regular employment.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Scholarship for Women Scientists and Technologists Scheme (WOS-B) by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.