EcoAction Community Funding Program
Government of CanadaSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to C $100,000
Anticipated deadline: Jan 16, 2020
Applicant type: Nonprofit Indigenous Group
Funding uses: Project / Program
Location of project: Canada
Location of residency: CanadaView website Save Need help writing this grant?
EcoAction Community Funding Program
Funding is available for new projects that engage Canadians and clearly demonstrate measurable, positive results related to fresh water, a key environmental priority.
Your project must include one related Priority Result:
- Canadians contribute to the improvement of water quality through:
- the diversion and reduction of harmful substances and plastic waste in fresh water
- the improvement and restoration of aquatic habitat
- Canadians contribute to the conservation and sustainable use of Canada’s fresh water
The maximum EcoAction funding is $100,000; the minimum funding amount request is $25,000.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Non-profit groups and organizations are eligible to receive funding through the EcoAction Community Funding Program.
- environmental groups
- community groups
- youth and seniors groups
- community-based associations
- service clubs
- Indigenous organizations.
- Your project must address the key environmental priority of fresh water and one of the related Priority Results.
- All projects must clearly demonstrate that activities are measurable, provide opportunities for community members to take action, and will result in positive environmental impact.
- All projects and activities must include:
- at least one environmental indicator and one capacity building indicator as per the program's list of performance indicators (please refer to the Applicant's Guide).
- The following project costs are eligible under the Program:
- human resource costs, including salaries and benefits;
- contract and professional service costs (e.g., accounting, audit, liability insurance costs that are directly attributed to carrying out the project, monitoring, legal or other professional fees);
- travel and field costs (based on Government of Canada rates: www.njc-cnm.gc.ca);
- material and supply costs;
- printing and production costs;
- communication and distribution costs;
- equipment purchase or rental costs;
- vehicle rental and operation costs;
- translation costs; and
- a reasonable share of overhead and/or administrative costs and rent that is directly attributed to program delivery.
- At least 50% of the total value of your project must come from sources other than the Government of Canada.
- A strong application includes the following elements:
- addresses Environment and Climate Change Canada’s environmental priorities of climate change, clean air, clean water or nature;
- enhances, restores, conserves and/or protects the environment;
- includes objectives that are realistic, achievable and measurable;
- demonstrates direct and measurable environmental benefit;
- provides an opportunity for community members to become actively engaged in the project activities and educates them on environmental issues;
- involves individuals and communities with local knowledge and experience;
- secures 50% matching funds from non-federal sources;
- clearly demonstrates that the group has the ability to carry out the project;
- demonstrates good value for money;
- includes any information related to required permits and technical information to ensure reviewers are able to evaluate the feasibility of the project, its technical merit, environmental benefits, and compliance with other jurisdictions;
- includes a completed and signed application form with a detailed budget, work plan, communications plan and evaluation plan with measurable performance indicators;
- has an indication of sustainability of activities and/or environmental benefit beyond the funding relationship; and
- if applicable, includes supporting documentation to adequately evaluate project activities or information to conduct an environmental screening.
- includes other Environment and Climate Change Canada priorities such as Indigenous engagement and official languages. For further information on Environment and Climate Change priorities contact a regional program officer.
- The following groups are not eligible but are encouraged to partner with non-profit organizations to support a project proposal:-
- educational institutions
- individuals; and
- municipal, provincial, territorial and federal governments
- The following activities are not eligible for funding:
- projects already under way;
- continuation of projects previously funded by EcoAction;
- ongoing programs and activities;
- activities required by law and/or mandated by all levels of government;
- projects in relation to the enforcement of or compliance with by-laws in effect;
- projects focused primarily on the purchase of capital assets;
- activities focused primarily on research and monitoring activities;
- activities focused primarily on planning;
- projects designed only to beautify an area;
- preparation of formal curriculum materials;
- core organizational functions (e.g., meetings, maintenance and administration);
- annual or regular organizational events/campaigns;
- expenses to attend general conferences;
- projects focused on recreational activities;
- purchase or construction of infrastructure (e.g., land, buildings, roads and bridges);
- purchase of a vehicle;
- incentives and rebates (but can be used as matching funding);
- project activities that fall under the mandate of other government funding programs, including other Environment and Climate Change Canada funding programs (however, may support activities that complement such programs);
- lobbying, advocacy or fundraising activities (or that can be perceived as such);
- decontamination of sites;
- further disbursement of funds to a third party recipient (i.e. micro grants); and
- projects outside of Canada.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the EcoAction Community Funding Program by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.
Please wait while we load this grant.
Sorry, we're having trouble loading this grant.