Bush FoundationSuggest an update
Grant amount: Up to US $200,000
Deadline: May 24, 2020
Applicant type: Indigenous Group Government Entity Nonprofit
Funding uses: General Operating Expense
Location of project: Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota
Location of residency: Minnesota, North Dakota, South DakotaView website Save Need help writing this grant?
About this funder:
NOTE: There will be a few Ecosystem grants available to new applicants. Before applying, we strongly encourage you to reach out to Bush Foundation staff, especially if you applied in 2016 and didn’t receive funding, to discuss your organization’s fit with the program.
Ecosystem grants provide general operating support to help sustain organizations that create unique and significant value for our grantees, Fellows and other organizations.
Some might call these infrastructure organizations or intermediary organizations or just can’t-do-without organizations. We call them ecosystem organizations because they help create an environment for big things to happen in the region by supporting other organizations and leaders
What We Fund
Ecosystem grants are offered across all Foundation programs and strategic initiatives. They provide general operating support to organizations that our grantees, Fellows and other organizations rely on to:
- Provide critical data and analysis
- Spread great ideas and build capacity
- Advance public awareness and policy
- Build and support leadership networks
Organizations may apply to receive as much as $200,000 over two years in general operating support. The grants are not to exceed 25 percent of an organization’s operating budget. We will talk with finalists to determine if there is any reason to give less than this amount – for example, if it is a funder’s collaborative with set funding amounts.
Fit with a Foundation program or initiative
Does the applicant organization advance the goal of a Foundation program or strategic initiative
- Community Innovation Program - Inspire and support Community Problem solving.
- Leadership Program - Inspire, equip and connect leaders.
- Community Creativity Initiative - Make art central to problem solving.
- Education Initiative - Make education more relevant for all students.
- Native Nation Building Initiative - Strengthen tribal governance.
- Social Business Ventures Initiative - Help People Do Good Through Business
Does the applicant organization support other organizations and leaders in one or more of the following ways?
- Providing critical data and analysis
- Advancing public awareness and policy
- Spreading great ideas and building capacity
- Building and supporting networks of leaders
Impact on other organizations and leaders.
Does the applicant create unique and significant value for other organizations and leaders?
How the applicant organization operates.
Is the applicant organization stable and strong in terms of governance and finance?
Does the applicant organization operate in a way that aligns with the Bush Foundation’s operating values?
Across all our work, we are committed to addressing racial and economic equity in our region. As we review applications, we will consider whether applicants have the skills and orientation to support leaders and organizations working toward that end.
We will also consider the diversity of our portfolio across:
- Size of community served.
- Size of applicant.
- Demographics of communities served.
- Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and the 23 Native nations that share the same geography.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Ecosystem grants may be awarded to 501(c)(3) public charities or government entities.
- Organizations that do not have 501(c)(3) status may submit an application through a fiscal sponsor.
- Coalitions or collaborative efforts are eligible to apply, but only one organization may receive the grant.
- Grants must be used for a charitable purpose that supports people and organizations in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota or the 23 Native nations that share the same geography.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Ecosystem Grants by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.