Effective Democracy Grant
Grant amount: US $5,000 - US $50,000
Next anticipated deadline: Feb 15, 2019 (Letter of inquiry)
Later anticipated deadlines: Jul 15, 2019 (Letter of inquiry)
Applicant type: Nonprofit
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, General Operating Expense, Applied Project / Program, Capital Project
Location of project: United States, California
Location of residency: United StatesView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Gaia Fund values the democratic principles that govern and guide our country's political process: fair elections, representation for all, and equal opportunity for political participation. Preserving these principles is a Gaia Fund priority.
The disproportionate influence of corporate and individual wealth in American politics poses a threat to those principles and our representative democracy. With this in mind, the Fund supports programs that offer solutions to this threat, preserving a "one person, one vote" system that allows every voice to be heard equally.
The geographic focus is national, but the Fund may, on occasion, consider local or state programs operating in California.
Grants for projects usually range from $5,000 to $50,000. The Fund defines grants in this category as those that support projects with finite funding needs, or those that provide seed funding for new initiatives. Grants for specific programs may be awarded in either a single payment, or in annual installments that may range from two to five years.
Gaia Fund will consider capital and endowment campaign requests, but assigns such requests a lower priority. Grant awards in support of capital and endowment are typically consistent with the grant amounts awarded for specific programs.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applicants must be tax exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or be able to demonstrate that they have obtained a 501(c)(3) organization as a fiscal agent.
- Gaia Fund considers requests for initiatives that promote:
- small donor and public financing of political campaigns;
- full disclosure of the sources of money in political campaigns and reasonable limits on campaign contributions and expenditures; and
- renewal of Constitutional values that support rather than undermine political equality and that protect the Constitutional rights of human beings rather than empowering corporations with human rights.
- Preference is given to organizations with annual operating budgets under $5 million.
- State or local programs operating outside of California are rarely considered.
- Unsolicited requests for programs that don’t align with our specific funding interests will not be considered.
- Non-renewed general support or project grants will be ineligible for reconsideration until at least two years have passed since the last grant was awarded.
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Effective Democracy Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.