Ekhagastiftelsen Foundation Grant
Up to kr1,500,000
May 20, 2019
Location of project:
Anywhere in the world
Location of residency:
Anywhere in the world
Need help writing this grant?
Purpose of the Foundation
The purpose of Ekhagastiftelsen is to promote human health by supporting the development of better food, natural medicines and healing practices, and to support research for a healthier way of life, which in itself may have a disease preventive effect.
A central idea is to focus more on preventive active care than reactive care to combat symptoms. The same applies to the agricultural and food areas where the focus should be to find methods that can prevent various problems instead of focusing on their manifestations.
The focus should not be on tackling problems, but rather finding ways to prevent their occurrence.
Prioritized Research Areas
In accordance with Gösta Videgårds wishes and interests the foundation supports certain specific research areas.
Better and Healthier Food
For Gösta Videgård an important goal was the improvement in quality of agricultural products through agriculture without toxins and artificial substances. The foundation therefore supports research and development based on the principles of organic and biodynamic food production or other methods and orientations that promote this goal. Research should be in line with IFOAMs (International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements) principles of organic production.
Examples of research that can be supported is how such crops that currently require pesticides can be grown organically in a qualitative and efficient way to produce better and healthier food.
Research on improved preparation and storage of food, as well as the analysis of food quality can receive support.
Nutrition and Way of LIfe
Gösta Videgård was very interested in significance of the diet for humans. The Foundation therefore supports research into the role of the diet in the treatment of diseases and strengthening the body's resistance.
Examples of funding can be research into which type diet and food the body needs, the impact of different food choices on bodily functions and related nutritional issues.
Healthier lifestyles, a cleaner environment and a more active outdoor lifestyle was also important to Gösta Videgård and he wished that the foundation should work to promote such development. Ekhagastiftelsen can therefore support scientific research in this area.
Complementary Medicine and Natural Medicines
Gösta Videgårds had a keen interest in complementary medicine and its goal of curing diseases by using the body's own innate healing abilities and utilize natural healing powers. He appreciated and also practiced the basic idea of avoiding artificial chemicals as far as possible.
Ekhagastiftelsen recognizes that today support for this area of research can be extended to include also other medical research where the mindset is to utilize natural methods and medicines, and for example, can go under the names integrative, biological or alternative medicine.
There are mental and psychological aspects in complementary medicine, and research in this direction can also be supported. However, our view is that research on the physical impact and bodily functions have higher priority than research on mental health and psychology.
Which Applications Can Receive Grants?
The main focus should be on scientific research and primarily applied research. Basic research in areas such as for example molecular biology and genetic research can be supported if it clarifies causal relationships that can be considered to be of direct value for further research related to foundation's purpose.
In addition to funding scientific research, the foundation can, to a lesser extent, grant funding for projects designed to have research findings put into practice, for example, training activities, documentation projects, book projects or conferences. Such applications must contribute to a development in line with the foundation's purpose.
The foundation also welcomes applications for planning grants. These can be for organizing seminars / workshops on the issue that the applicant wants to study, in order to get a better basis for a definite application (which can also be directed to other funding bodies) and as part of a dialogue between scientists and the scientific advisory council.
Ekhagastiftelsen wishes primarily to support strategic and innovative projects of a pilot nature, as well as research that is highly newsworthy and that not just confirms previous findings. The foundation also supports participatory research projects, in which, for example, farmers and scientists work together to identify research questions and methods, and jointly evaluate the results.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- The foundation aims to support strategic and innovative projects.
- Applications from all over the world are welcome.
- For applications that do not come from Europe or North America we require that you have a cooperation with a Swedish institution.
- The partner must be involved in the research project. Please be sure to describe the details of the cooperation.
- Support for projects is not limited to Sweden and Scandinavia.
- We do not have any formal requirements that applications can only come from institutions (universities, colleges, research institutions, etc.).
- It is possible to apply for scholarships, but these are normally only granted for research related projects.
- Ekhagastiftelsen does not support aid projects where, for example, the project plans to develop societal functions or conduct training.
- We do not sponsor basic education at the university level (e.g. tuition).
- Unspecified university fees or unspecified overhead (for example universitetspåslag) cannot be accepted.
- Usually the foundation does not support projects where our contribution would only be a small part of the total budget.
- Below we want to make some clarifications regarding relevance.
- Research in animal husbandry is not a priority, unless there is a connection to the quality of the animal products.
- Research regarding the environment is of lower relevance for the foundation.
- Support can be relevant to the extent as this has a positive effect on the capacity of the agricultural system (organic matter and biodiversity) in the long run to deliver ecosystem services that can reduce the need for chemical pesticides and fertilizers as well as securing the quality of agricultural products.
- Regarding the medical field, it should be mentioned that the founder Gösta Videgård repeatedly expressed a certain distrust of mainstream medicine.
- What he reacted against was particularly the use of drugs and medicines containing such agents which in his opinion could not be considered natural.
- Gösta Videgård was opposed to artificial substances and poisons of all kinds.
- Ekhagastiftelsen has a restrictive attitude towards scientific research where clinical animal testing is used.
- This does not mean that such research can not be funded by Ekhagastiftelsen, but such research must have high relevance with respect to the aims of the foundation and not be able to carried out without animal testing.
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Ekhagastiftelsen Foundation Grant by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.