Environment Program - Transforming Development Finance
Charles Stewart Mott Foundation
Grant amount: US $2,000 - US $500,000
Applicant type: College / University Nonprofit Indigenous Group Government Entity
Funding uses: Education / Outreach, Applied Project / Program
Location of project: Anywhere in the world
Location of residency: Anywhere in the worldView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Note: While we’re open to new ideas and projects, funding for unsolicited requests is very limited.
Transforming Development Finance
We aim to shape international investment policies for energy and infrastructure projects in ways that protect people and the environment in developing nations.
Economic development spending should benefit all people, their economic condition and the environment.
How it Works
Mott aims to improve transparency, accountability, and social and environmental standards at the international finance institutions that fund major energy and infrastructure projects.We work internationally with the financial and environmental sectors to ensure that energy and infrastructure projects protect the environment, deliver sustained benefits to communities, and respect the needs of nearby residents. This work includes a focus on the investment patterns of emerging economies, particularly of Brazil and China, whose financial institutions are becoming major lenders for developing countries.
Our funding is made under two objectives:
Securing Infrastructure and Energy for a Sustainable Future
We seek infrastructure and energy investments that contribute to environmental sustainability and offer local economic opportunity. We make grants to:
- regional and global networks and organizations that monitor energy and infrastructure investments by public and private institutions;
- intermediary organizations that can provide assistance and build capacity for local, on-the-ground monitoring of energy and infrastructure projects; and
- national organizations in key emerging economies, particularly Brazil and China, that can initiate dialogues to change policies and develop standards for national development banks.
Promoting Sustainable Regional Development and Integration
We seek international and regional public investments that contribute to local sustainable development, with a focus on South America. We make grants to:
- networks and organizations in the Americas that monitor international investment strategies;
- organizations that build constituencies and capacity to develop sustainable investment strategies, including engaging agencies and members of legislative bodies in project monitoring; and
- organizations that promote greater transparency and accountability at state and regional development banks in the Americas and monitor investments by those institutions.
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Requirements for non-U.S. organizations: All correspondence must be in English and must be submitted by a charitable, educational or governmental organization.
- No grants or loans to individuals.
- No grants (except in the Flint area) for capital development, research, project replication or endowment unless these activities grow out of work already being funded by Mott.
- No grants for religious activities or programs serving specific religious groups or denominations. However, faith-based organizations may submit inquiries if the project falls within our guidelines and serves a broad segment of the population.
- No grants (except in the Flint area) for local projects unless they are part of a Mott-planned national demonstration or network of grants.
- No grants for projects that duplicate, or significantly overlap, the work of federal, state or local governmental agencies.
- Film and video projects, books, scholarships and fellowships rarely are funded.
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Environment Program - Transforming Development Finance by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.