Environmental Conservation (Land Transaction Grants)
Triangle Community Foundation
Grant amount: Up to US $25,000
Applicant type: Government Entity Nonprofit
Funding uses: Applied Project / Program
Location of project: Counties in North Carolina: Chatham County, Durham County, Orange County, Wake County
Location of residency: Counties in North Carolina: Chatham County, Durham County, Orange County, Wake CountyView website Save Need help writing this grant?
Funding direct program costs for land transactions is one of the greatest challenges facing conservation organizations today, in spite of the very high leverage effect it has on a land or easement donation from private donors. Landowners who are willing to donate conservation land worth hundreds of thousands of dollars are often unable to fund the cash transaction costs as well. Triangle Community Foundation will leverage donated land transactions by funding the transaction costs and stewardship endowments associated with land donations.Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
The Transaction Grant Program will assist organizations in leveraging conservation projects by providing support to fund qualifying transaction costs associated with land and easement donations. Each property funded with these grants must be permanently protected through a Conservation Easement or Notice of Acceptance of Property for Conservation Purposes.
The Foundation will consider funding requests for the following:
- Survey, environmental assessment, and legal description expenses
- Legal expenses including attorney fees, title insurance, closing costs, and recording costs
- Legal defense fund for the project
- Baseline documentation report (including grantee labor and expenses to create the report)
- Stewardship endowment for the project
- Conservation staff expense, including labor costs and travel expenses, directly related to the proposed project
You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's website.
- Applications are available 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations and governmental agencies based in Chatham, Durham, Orange, and Wake counties.
- Religious congregations and organizations operating under fiscal sponsorship of a tax-exempt nonprofit are eligible to apply when collaborating with a 501(c)(3) that meets all over criteria.
- Organizations must beet the Foundation's non-discrimination policy, and must have been incorporated at least three years prior to the application deadline.
- Organizations must provide matching funds with a minimum ratio of 4:1.
- Collaboration is not required for the Transaction Grant Program, but preference will be given to collaborative proposals.
- The Foundation will not fund:
- deficit or debt financing,
- grants solely for the purpose of re-granting,
- grants to projects in which land is not permanently protected, projects outside Chatham, Durham, Orange, or Wake counties,
- ad valorem or rollback taxes (may count as match),
- landowner’s appraisal for tax reporting (may count as match),
- land acquisition (value may count as match), or
- general administrative or operating costs not related to the project.
About this funder:
Find more grants like this
Find more grants like the Environmental Conservation (Land Transaction Grants) by joining Instrumentl.
We help nonprofits and academics find more grants and take control of their grants process with a refreshingly intuitive online platform.