Farm to School First Bite Mini Grant
Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA)
Predicted deadline: Nov 2, 2024 2:00pm PDT
Grant amount: US $2,500 - US $10,000
Fields of work: Food Delivery & Distribution Services Farms & Farming
Applicant type: Elementary / Secondary School, School District
Funding uses: Project / Program
Location of project: Minnesota
Location of residency: Minnesota
NOTE: In addition to applying for the Farm to School First Bite Mini Grant, you may also apply for the AGRI Equipment Grant.
The Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) has served our state for more than 125 years. The work we do touches every Minnesota citizen every day.
Our mission is to enhance all Minnesotans’ quality of life by equitably ensuring the integrity of our food supply, the health of our environment, and the strength and resilience of our agricultural economy.
Our three general areas of responsibility include:
- Protecting our food supply;
- Protecting our natural resources; and,
- Cultivating our agricultural economy.
Farm to School First Bite Mini Grant
The Farm to School First Bite Mini Grant is intended to be an intentional learning process for school districts that have little to no experience with local procurement as part of a Farm to School program.
School districts that have prior Farm to School experience, or that have previously received a Farm to School First Bite Mini Grant should apply for the Farm to School Full Tray Grant.
Through our Local Food for Schools Cooperative Agreement with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and with the support of the Cargill Foundation, we anticipate awarding nearly $3.5 million to reimburse school districts for purchasing Minnesota grown and raised foods used in school meal programs.
Projects must focus on intentional, high-impact Farm to School efforts that highlight Minnesota grown and raised foods. These may include but are not limited to:
- Trialing new Minnesota grown products on the menu or through taste tests
- Participating in the Great Lakes Apple Crunch
- Hosting a Breakfast or Lunch with a Farmer meal
- Increasing the number of times a Minnesota item or meal repeats on the menu
- Expanding the number of featured items or meals during Farm to School Month
- Adding Minnesota Thursdays as a monthly feature to the menu
- Introducing local sourcing into the School Breakfast Program
The amount a school district may apply for is a minimum of $2,500 to a maximum of $10,000 and there is no match required.
We've imported the main document for this grant to give you an overview. You can learn more about this opportunity by visiting the funder's
- AGRI Agriculture Value-Added Feasibility Study Grant (VAFSG)
- AGRI Beginning Farmer FBM Scholarships
- AGRI Crop Research Grant Program
- Agricultural Chemical Response and Reimbursement Account Grant
- Agricultural Research and Education Council Grant
- AGRI Good Agricultural Practices/Good Handling Practices (GAP/GHP) Certification Cost Share
- AGRI Livestock Investment Grant
- AGRI Meat, Poultry, Egg, and Milk Processing Grant
- AGRI Minnesota Value Added Grant Program
- AGRI Sustainable Agriculture Demonstration Grant Program
- AGRI Urban Agriculture Grant Program
- Emerging Farmer Technical Assistance Grant
- Farm to School Full Tray Grant
- Good Food Access Program (GFAP) Equipment and Physical Improvement Grant
- Good Food Access Program Technical Assistance Grant
- Local Food Purchase Assistance Program Grant
- Meat Education and Training Grant
- MN Specialty Crop Block Grant Program
- Noxious Weed and Invasive Plant Grants
- Rollover Protective Structures (ROPS) Rebate
Don’t miss out on other good fit funders!
See even more similar funders by creating a free 14-day account. Get personalized grant recommendations, tracking and more.
“Through Instrumentl, I was able to accomplish in 6 hours...SIX HOURS...what would have taken days or weeks with [another] search engine.”